Filling Large hole in breezeblock around cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My house has an attached garage in which the consumer unit is located. All the cabling from the consumer unit runs across the rafters in the garage and then comes into the main house via a hole in the external wall of the house (Cavity wall). It looks like the have made the entry by simply removing half a breeze block from each leaf of the wall at the level of the garage rafters and then laying all the twin and earths through the hole to get them into the void between ground and 1st floors. I would like to seal the hole up to avoid risk of entry by mice etc. from the garage side but this is well beyond the size of hole that sealing collars or foam could do (plus foam would degrade the cables). Can anyone advise what the best way of filling such a hole would be? i was thinking along the lines of filling the hole with insulation (to match the rest of the cavity) and then sealing the outside with vermiculite or similar fire resisting material?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A picture would help, is the cable in any sort of conduit?

If not I'd probably cut down the side of a suitable piece of pipe, slip it over the cables then duct tape the cut.

Then I'd get a breeze block, cut sections out of it to fill the bulk of the hole the best you can then use expanding foam in the gaps to hold it all in place. Cutting triangles off the corners of the block should fill the bulk quite quickly

Make sure you use foam with a gun so it's controllable and you don't end up with a huge mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back