Filling Out An Electrical Installation Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you guys fill out an EIC, do you N/A some of the boxes under
"schedule of items inspected"?

I mostly fill them out for board changes, and am wondering whether the installation of cables & conductors section is valid for a board change?

I mean, in most cases, you are not installing additional cabling, just swapping a CU over.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Are you not taking responsibility for the whole installation though after a board change and so should have inspected all items applicable on the schedule?

my understanding is when you carry out a board change you should be fully testing all circuits connected and thus filling out the relevent parts of the cert

N/A if it isnt there to be inspected. Like Non-conducting location, Limitation of discharge of energy, Earth-free local equipotential bonding etc

If its there it has to be inspected then its a tick or cross.

Probably ident & routing of conductors is more relavent when you are doing the PIR prior to your board change.

Sponsored Links
Always a contentuous issue on a CU change as how far do you go on the inspection side of things, i.e. installation method, cable routing, identification of conductors etc. Especially when laminate flooring is everywhere!!!!

After a CU swap I test the installation to the same level as a 100% periodic inspection, i.e. test and inspect all parts of every circuit, but not if it is inaccesible such as concealed within the fabric of the building.

I would also only N/A a box if the test was not relevent to the installation such as earth electrode resistance on a PME supply.

Good viewpoints.

However, as you have pointed out, there are many items that could well be inaccessible. Do you put "LIMS" for these, Rob?

Personally, no.

I would only put 'lims' if part of the circuit / installation was not tested deliberatly for whatever reason.

If I have tested as much as is phisically possible then I'm happy.

I would also list in the description of works box something like "replacement of CU, and reconnection of existing circuits."

Same here. The PIR is to ensure that there's nothing life threatening or that could effect the operatoion of the new board.
If you go too far the customer will squeak as you spend a day PIRing and a second day swopping the board and retesting.

Please no responses that you can do a PIR in an hour, we've done that one to death!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back