filling sanding staining skirtings etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am just fitting skirtings and 3x1 planed battens for curtain poles in bedrooms...can you tell me what is the correct/method way to screw fill sand then stain the woodwork so as to conceal all the fixings etc cheers :)

Sponsored Links
your other option would be to buy wooden dowling the same size as the drill bit,then plug the hole, before staining

raver

Sponsored Links
cheers for replies guys..where do you purchase these plugs from cheers + have bought my medium oak stain from wickes which says on the tin apply white spirits to the untreated timber once dry sand then apply white spirit again let dry then stain followed by a varnish ? is it neccesary to apply the white spirit ? if so whats the reason for this then cheers again :)

The first coat of white spirit raises and opens the grain of the wood so that the stain is absorbed into it rather than just sitting on the surface, The second just allows the stain to be spread more evenly, avoiding patchiness.

It's best to cut your own plugs as the grain of the timber you use will blend in much better than any pre-cut ones you buy.

mister...would you go as far as to white spirit all the new skirtings arcs etc after a light sand b4 i apply the stain ? joiner dont normally bother..+ in which order do you stain/caulk fill etc bearing in mind the walls are over shop big gaps in places so thinking of using polyfila with a large knife ? cheers again :D

It's not essential but does ease application of the initial coat. As long as you are giving them a few coats the stain will even itself out. Just make sure you sand lightly between coats.

I've just answered the filler part in your other post. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back