Filling Small Gaps Near Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a few pipes that go though the celling from some rooms and some have big gaps in. Some ar eth size of my fingers next to the pipe and i wanted to know how is it best to fill these. 1 room has allready been painted on the celling and others have not yet.

Will it cause any problems with the pipes if i fill the area.

ALso what filler is best for this

Chris

Sponsored Links
Caulk's no good for big gaps and it goes green with contact with copper. Pollyfilla will do.

Sponsored Links
OK cheers for that. They are copper pipes so i will use poly filler. When the pipe get hot and expand will the filler not crack can anyone answer.

Also is it ok to paint over filler

Chris

If the pipe is painted first it wont make anything go green. Ive used caulk in that location for ages with no probs. Yes you can use polyfilla also but any hard filler will crack as it touches the pipe because it will expand with the heat.

So do i use Caulk near the pipes or not as it sounds like people say it go's green and others say it dont with contact with copper

Chris

New copper pipes should be painted with calcium plumbate primer before any other paint. Most people will just use undercoat and gloss. Will probably work ok. If the pipes have any kind of paint on them then they wont make things go green. You can use hard filler like polyfiller, might crack near to the pipe as it expands and contracts. You can also use caulking and both will be ok when painted up.

Hi all,

I have a few pipes that go though the celling from some rooms and some have big gaps in. Some ar eth size of my fingers next to the pipe and i wanted to know how is it best to fill these. 1 room has allready been painted on the celling and others have not yet.

Will it cause any problems with the pipes if i fill the area.

ALso what filler is best for this

Chris

ima painter & seen caulk being used so many times DONT USE CAULK! caulk does perrish and isnt a nice finish what u do is get a piece of paper tape and some ready mixed filler

place the paper tape on a piec of cardboad and skim over the back off the paper tape[the side thats getn stuck to the wall]

then place the side with the filler on the wall over the hole,since the filler is all over the paper tape it goes solid where as just round the hole it would be able to pop thru

then all u do is a couple of skims of filler on top. sand and paint :D nice clean finish :) and easy!!

Can i use caulk around skirting board gaps and then paint over or is it best to paint it first then fill in

Chris

On previously painted wood fill it then paint over. On raw timber prime it first then caulk or it wont stick to the timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back