Finally, i've got a job.....

Where did you do your maths and english, was it on the 1st floor at st peters house, gower st?

I did mine there through the JC, i chose maths, i had to do 7 weeks then be put forward to the level 2 test, which you HAD to pass to be put forward to the CSCS test, jesus 40 questions in 1hr 20mins. The CSCS test itself is infant school stuff.

The reason you need to do maths or english is because its the only way they can get government funding for your CSCS, bit of a con really.

Sponsored Links
Yep, same place. I only did 4 weeks there to do the english bit. 40 questions finished in less than half hour, spent 5 mins checking them, then off to the Babbington to celebrate with a latte. :)

A friend of a friend who failed the maths told me days before i was due to go 'do not do the maths, its so hard' , so when i got there they asked which i wanted to do.....maths of english, i chose maths because i was never any good at school and i could really do with brushing up on it now that i've learned to sit still and listen.

1 day a week for 7 weeks i did, couldnt do more as they were solid, did all the little tests and passed with no great problems but the level 2 test was pretty hard but i passed, then had to wait a month for the CSCS, now thats a wierd set up, like being on Millionare, not allowed to talk, or take your phone in, or any notes, thought i was going to get stripped searched and have to wear white paper overalls.

They did ask if I wanted to do the ECDL qualification too. I didn't know you needed a driving licence to operate a computer though. I must be breaking some law or summat as I'm sat here in front of mine now. :)

Sponsored Links
Tell you what while your unemployed i'd ask to go on allsorts of courses while their free, get em while you can, FLT, PASMA, IPAF, CPCS, nail gun courses, ask about the 'advisor discretionary fund' this is to pay for anything that is stopping you from applying for certain jobs, whether its extra training or certain tools you need but dont have.

They keep that secret though cos it cost the government money ;)

Iccidentally, what colour card did you get, i got a basic green one :cry:

My CSCS test isn't till May 5th. I have been told they only supply the basic CSCS card and if I want a different one I have to pay the difference. I might wait until I have a job then apply for the gold card as I have the necessary experience and qualifications to get one. I'm not sure about doing any other courses though, will wait and see at the moment.

Yes thanks matey. I sent off the application for the property maintenance operative on Saturday. Hope to hear from them after the closing date. I did look at the jobs with Strata, but after years of being S/E and working on sites all over the place, I don't really much fancy getting back into site work. Lovely in summertime but murder in winter. Probably had it too easy over the last 8 or 9 years. :)

Ahh thats ok, i thought you'd probably seen them.

I applied for the strata job too but only because new deal told me too, i knew i wouldnt get it but if i didnt apply then they'd sanction me and i'd lose a weeks benefit.

Good luck anyway with the one you applied for and any others you do, hope you get something soon mate :D

Well, first day on the job and all i did was clean the van out :D

Can't say too much as i think it'll be going further but i travelled 50miles yesterday to pick the van up from a pre-arranged location after they told the other engineer that he had been relieved of his duties, well after they told him he shot off and pinched the van and disarmed the tracker, police found the van later in the evening undamaged so i had to go back up today and pick it up from a police station.

Start work proper tomorrow :eek:

Well, first day on the job and all i did was clean the van out :D

Can't say too much as i think it'll be going further but i travelled 50miles yesterday to pick the van up from a pre-arranged location after they told the other engineer that he had been relieved of his duties, well after they told him he shot off and pinched the van and disarmed the tracker, police found the van later in the evening undamaged so i had to go back up today and pick it up from a police station.

Start work proper tomorrow :eek:

Got arrested today for the first time ever, bet you can't guess why???

Driving northbound just north of J28 on the M1 when my van activated a static ANPR camera near Tibshelf services, by J33 i was on the hard shoulder with 1 Derbyshire traffic car in front of me and 2 South Yorkshire traffic cars behind and the police helicopter above following me until the cops caught up. I took half an hour for them to get the info from south yorkshire police who admitted they forgot to take the marker off the PNC, took the handcuffs off and said your free to go..............No apology though!

Well I'm still at the same job, it's had it's moments but generally it's been ace and the best job I've had, the other lads are good to work with and we have a blast. I'm on my 3rd laptop, 4th phone and 2nd van up to now.

I know it's been a while but I hope everyone that was looking for work back 5 years ago finally found something, I did meet joiner John a few years back, turns out he only lives a few streets away from me, unfortunately I've lost contact with him now and he doesn't seem to frequent here anymore, best wishes John wherever you are and hope your alright?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back