Finding a builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have enquired about the garage conversion and have been told I do not need planning permission. I have contacted building regs and they are sending me forms out. My next question now is - What is the best way to find a reliable builder ? I do not know anyone who has had work done so cant ask for recomendations. Can anyone recomend a builder in the south Bham area?

Sponsored Links
Isnt anyone in your surrounding area having building work done? If they are knock & ask them if the builder is anygood, better than using yellow p.

I choose a number of buildes to quote from a) Yellow Pages b) Guild of Master Craftsman c) Those that had provided flyers.
The guy I choose had actually sent a letter after seeing my planning application - I was warned against using someone who was touting for business ("they can't be any good if they haven't got enough work through recommendations"), but with about a week left I'm not disappointed with my choice.
He was the only person to ask for a written specification to quote from, the quote turned up on the day he said it would, and he was happy to sit with me for over an hour running through the quote.

Two points I would make from experience; 1) Any builder will be able to deliver just about anything you ask for, when you initially run through your ideas. Take some of it with a pinch of salt, and challenege them if you think it's necessary. 2) No builder will provide you with a refernce who will say bad things about them. By all means go and have a look at their work, but bear in mind that they won't show you one where it went wrong!

Sponsored Links
Birmingham Council have a list of contractors who are members of the Quality Mark scheme. Contact building control

Also contact the Federation of Master Builders ( www.fmb.org.uk ) who will have a list of members - these will provide insurance backed warranties.

Otherwise have a look for work being done in the area and ask for references of previous customers - and visit them to see the work and ask how the builder performed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back