Finding an Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last time I tried to find an electrician I got quotes from four companies, and they were all outrageous. In the end I just left it till - tadaa! - I was going out with a spark. He did a couple of jobs for me that I'd had saved up literally for years...

Anyway, he's moved on and now I need to find an electrician all over again. But why did they all try to rip me off? Normally I get on pretty well with finding tradesmen. I've got a great plumber and a great plasterer, both of who are regulars and I pass their numbers to friends. I've had oak floors laid and boilers replaced and general labouring type stuff, all without trouble.

Why do I struggle to find a spark?

Sorry it's such a weird question!

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to ask around your friends and neighbours for recommendations.

Ask your plumber and plasterer as they must meet sparks in their business.

In my business (sparky) I've made a point of finding good tradesmen who I can recomend to my customers

The last time I tried to find an electrician I got quotes from four companies, and they were all outrageous. ... why did they all try to rip me off?

How do you know they were trying to rip you off? I frequently get asked to quote for what seem to be very minor jobs (adding lights, sockets, etc) but the age and condition of the installations mean I have a lot of remedial work to carry out first. An extra socket can end up costing hundreds in some cases (because I generally don't work for free).

I also get asked to do jobs that are practically impossible... such as rewiring after the new kitchen has been fitted and tiled. These, I usually decline, but it is quite common practice to over-quote heavily, so as not to get such jobs... or when one feels the customer is going to be awkward to deal with.

Are you sure none of these apply to your past experiences?

Sponsored Links
I needed a shower switch replacing - the string had jammed so the water wouldn't come on. I bought the switch myself but couldn't fit it because the wiring was a bit tight.

They were quoting me in the range of £150 to come round and do something that would take half an hour - and I'd already provided the parts.

In the end it took 20 minutes...

It's a female thing. I live alone in a good area, and almost everyone quotes high because of that. I've talked to friends and 'friendly' tradesmen about it, and it is a problem round here. Just one of those things. On the other hand, people will sometimes do stuff for free because you're female, so it's swings and roundabouts. <shrugs>

It was just the spark thing is worrying me, because I've had a survey done on the place I hope to buy, and the age of the consumer box has come up as a concern and 'must do' repair. Eek.

he may have priced according to the work that needed doing.notifiable works needing testing,supplementary bonding of sub circuits.you said the board is old so no rcd i expect.perhaps this is where the costs were.
not being rude,but to you its a switch,to us its a minefield of regulations

No, you've misunderstood.

You know the bit of string in the bathroom that you pull to make the shower work? That switch. Wiring it in is slightly more complicated than wiring a plug, but only slightly.

I know. I did the one in the hall for the main bathroom myself. I just couldn't do the one in the second bathroom because the wires were a bit short and so am I.

£150 was outrageous, and was without a shadow of a doubt the 'girl's price'.

Also, it's been done, by my sparky ex-bf, and it took him 20 minutes. He has longer arms than me...

[/b]

the switch is easy.the regulations regarding this type of work are not.more work probably needed to be done to make it comply with 16th edition requirements regarding special locations.
did your friend test the circuit and carry out the remedial works?
i may have misunderstood but i dont think so

Yes the actual job may have only taken half an hour but add in travel time (depending on where the electrician is based) paperwork time and so on and that time stretches out considerablly.

£150 does seem a little on the high side but a lot depends on local demand. Given the choice most electrians would much rather be doing stable longer term work than trying to scrape together lots of short jobs.

Paperwork time?? Seriously, what on earth do you think I'm talking about? Because whatever it is, it doesn't generate hours of paperwork. It's a switch. A very simple switch.

I have since installed one of these myself in ten minutes, including drinking tea on the job.

£150 for one half-hour job is a complete and utter rip off unless your journey time includes interstellar travel. Really.

And thanks for the link, but I think if I'm going to get round paying for stuff like that I need a dating site for Joiners next!! :LOL:

Thats exactly what we mean.

Yes it may have only taken you 10 mins to swap a switch, but that is only a small part of the job for an electrician.

When you swapped your switch did you

Drive to your house, using diesel I had to pay for, in the van I have to maintain and tax?

Did you spend 15 mins looking for your house?

Did you then fetch your steps in which I had to buy?

Did you then use your tools which I had to buy?

Did you get out your £650 test kit which I had to buy, and pay for its calibration every year, and test the circuit has been left in a safe condition, using the knowlege gained on courses which I had to pay to attend?

Did you carry out any remedial upgrades to make sure the circuit complies with the regs before you left it?

Did you fill out a minor works certificate?

Did you write out an invoice, and send it to yourself?

Did you have to chase your self for the money?

Did you have to employ an accountant to make sure the proper tax was paid on those earnings?

ETC..................................
[/rant] :LOL:

When you go to the doctor do you also say. 100 grand a year and all he did was say "take some rest and some paracetamol. I could do that. easy money"

Well you are also paying for years of training, re-training, liability insurances, trade association membership, vans,.

Oh by the way when you are self employed you don't get holiday paid for, sick pay, pension, health care

Do I need to go on and on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back