Finger or something better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you guys use to put flux on copper tube? I normally use my finger and just dip it in the powerflow flux. My finger by the end of the day looks red raw. (also feels it)

Am I just being soft and in need of some nivea for plumbers ;) or should I be using something else?

Cheers Carl

Sponsored Links
can't find a MSDS on powerflux BUT

all types of flux are corrosive by their very nature

take the long term view on the damage any chemical will do with long term exposure

read what it says on the tin

then decide if a brush is best ( it is )

I put my finger in it and so do countless others.

However never let flux get into a cut, the results can be disaster, it has caused bad venous infection and necrosis. Painful and weeks out of action.

Sponsored Links
I have to admit to putting the ol' finger in once in a while, but I do try to use my little brush as often as possible.

softlad1971 said:
What do you guys use to put flux on copper tube? I normally use my finger and just dip it in the powerflow flux. My finger by the end of the day looks red raw. (also feels it)

Am I just being soft and in need of some nivea for plumbers ;) or should I be using something else?

Cheers Carl

GRC - Powerflow flux? The stuff in the yellow tub? I've got a tub of it in front of me right now. It has a big black cross on an orange background, which looks very ominous to start with.

It sez in big letters "Irritating to the eyes and respiratory system"

It sez after that in smaller letters - "Keep out of the reach of children. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Wear suitable gloves. If swallowed seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label"

Assuming you're not winding us all up, which bit of these instructions can you possibly translate into "stick an unprotected finger into this tub for a day or so" ???

Regards, Graham

Could try using latex gloves. You can shove your fingers where you want then. That way your activities will be hygienic, if not legal. :)

I use my finger cause if it's good enough to drink in my water it's good enough to put my finger in, I also use the end of my solder to poke into the fitting and slurm around the pipe, push pipe in and twist a turn, lovely jubbly.
Anyway I use a lot more plastic so as not to breath the fumes in when soldering, especially in lofts and under floors, so most of my sodering is on gas pipes, so I only flux the end of the pipe and dont use too much either. ;) finger happy, lungs happy, pipe happy, dick happy when I go for a piiss, la di da di da :D

Powerflo flux is a bit corrosive (though not as bad as Everflux) - if you leave it on a pipe it'll make a green mess. It also blocks gas pipes on the inside!
I've changed to LaCo, which (it says) you can use for gas. It's still more "active" than traditional "yorkshire" flux but I think it's a good compromise. It comes in 1 lb containers which are good value, but also in small 2 oz pots.
Those come with or without a brush inside the lid. I recommend you try one of those, with brush, and just keep filling it to the level you want - I prefer about 1/4 full. The brush lasts for ages, and is a it more useful if you bend its plastic stem. Obvioulsy you can put what you like in the pot!

Just because you can drink something once it's been heavily diluted that doesn't mean it's safe in concentrated form. Example - lots of bacteria will thrive in dilute sugar solution but jam kills them; it literally sucks them dry. If your finger is red raw then it's telling you something.

PS: I spread flux with the end of a match stick.

PPS: If you see something growing in your jam it'll be a fungus - yeast if you're lucky, mould if you're not!

... and all the textbooks say that soldered joints should be flushed out with warm water prior to use, thus reducing it to even further dilution, or removing flux altogether........

I will have to get some LaCo. I am just lazy and like the fact that with powerflux you do not have to have the copper gleaming before soldering.

I also like the idea of using a match to put the flux on with. The problem with a brush, is it does not fit in the flux tub for storage between jobs. A match fits perfect.

It is also not a wind up. I do not know any plumber that has not dipped his/her finger at once in their life. :LOL:

softlad1971 said:
................ I do not know any plumber that has not dipped his/her finger at once in their life. :LOL:

I suppose I'm not really a plumber, but as far as I can remember, I haven't dipped my finger, or any other appendage, in flux. I accidently got some in a cut once, that was enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back