Finishing laminate around bow-front shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in AquaLoc laminate floor in new bathroom. Shower tray is 1200x800 cast stone, with bow-front; a nice parabolic front, in a recess. Tray weighs a flippin' ton. Existing floorboards are sound and level.

Do I lay the laminate under the front edge of the tray, and seal round? This will require spacers of height equivelant to the laminate boards all the way back into the recess, to maintain level. Is the tray too heavy to sit on laminate - no chance of any expansion/movement?

Or do I cut last laminate board to parabolic profile, and butt up to the front of the tray? In which case, can anyone recommend or advise on a suitable flexible beading that can be fitted around the curve and mask the tray/floor join?

Cheers

L

Sponsored Links
mattysupra / WoodYouLike - you boys seem to be the laminate gurus here - any comments?

Cheers

L

if the room is small you may get away with 6mm expansion one side

if your tray is white use white sanitery silicone sealent and assuming the room is smallish youll get away with 4mm
you will have to curve the silicone to flare it into the floor probably in several applications

and i do hope you've bought the best laminate that is sutable for bathrooms as normal laminate wont last too long in a bathroom

Cheers for that. Using AquaLoc flooring, which is "suitable for bathrooms" - although I'll be extra safe and run a thin bead of waterproof glue into the locks before clicking in.

Room is not suitable for swinging cats - 1200 x 2000, so I should be able to get away with nice small expansion gaps, aye?

Sponsored Links
jlacd said:
mattysupra / WoodYouLike - you boys seem to be the laminate gurus here - any comments?

Cheers

L
Woodyoulike is a chick. However, she does write like a bloke so it's an easy mistake to make. ;)

:oops: Sorry WoodYouLike. I'll buy you a pint if you're ever up this way (or flowers, if you're going to be girly about it ;) )

i would put down maybe 12mm plywood or what ever a little thicker than the flooring and underlay together and place this under shower tray finishing say 15mm from front of tray. Then you can lip laminate under front of tray with expansion allowed as well then seal with silicon. Put masking tape down when using silicon to get neat unless your good a putting it down free hand.

Brilliant tip matty - that's just great. Cheers for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back