finishing stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to either paint the existing stairs or replace the treads with new oak treads and stain and finish them. If I replace the treads I will still be painting the risers so for my first question.
What type of paint should I use that will last with all the wear and tear that it gets on stairs?

If I replace the treads, What finish should I use that will also last on stairs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
SVEN, Home Depot & Lowes have specific paint for "Floors". We did our wood basement stairs. Looks good. We put 1 coat on. I would add a few more especially on the curved ends of the step. I have just completed stripping my oak stairs to the 2nd floor. I plan to stain/polyurethane those because we have wood floors all around.
mark

using a proprietary floorpaint, I have recently replaced all stair carpet in my home with a faux runner.
6 inch wide white strip down each side of the staircase with a central chocolate brown "runner" down the middle.
1st coats of each colour were allowed to cure for 1 week before second coat was applied. BTW the surface is touch dry after 3 hours.

to clean the stairs use a tablespoon or standard bleach in a gallon of warm water and just mop or use an electrostaic cleaner aka swiffer.
Total cost, you will need to adjust for US pricing, 5 litre white £19 sterling, 10 litres brown £38 sterling, £5 Masking tape. Equivalent carpet and underlay quote was £1900 sterling.

I couldnt be more satisfied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back