Fire alarm question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping some of the more knowledgeable people on here with regards to fire alarms can help me out with a bit of info i am struggling to find.

The scenario is a very large pub, that is being converted into a restaurant. Attached to the side of it will be two apartments (1 & 2) up stairs and downstairs.
Above the restaurant there will be another two apartments ( 3 & 4)

They all will share two communal stairwells leading to the four apartments.

Question Is?

1 Do they require a link from the restaurant with smokes and sounds in each flat

2 Do they require their own fire alarms with an link to the restaurant

3 Do they require domestic 230v smokes with a fire alarm link to the restaurant

4 Or a different setup altogether?

Any help or info or pointing in the right direction to some guidelines on it would be great.
Cheers
GB

Sponsored Links
I would have thought you need to know for sure, so you need to ask owner/architect/building officer/site agent/building contractor etc etc etc.

In fact anyone who can find out what this particular building requires...

Building control office at the local council will have to be satisfied so ask them what will be required.

The other source of reliable information is the Fire Prevention Officer at the local Fire Brigade,

Thanks, i will put the owner in touch with the relevant people he needs to speak to, i will also make a few enquires.

Sponsored Links
First port of call with regards anything fire related in a public frequented place is the local fire brigade it is them that will almost certainly have the final say.

Come up with all the plans but if fire brigade is not happy you have problems.

I spent 25 odd years with Essex Fire & Rescue and can assure you this is true. You can also spend way over the odds if some private company recommends this or that. I can well remember visiting one open plan office where building owner was advised they needed about 25-30 extinguishers. We visited and told them 5 or 6 would meet all the requirements.

Firstly what type of system does the pub/restaurant have fitted?

Personally if the pub/restaurant has a fire alarm system with a control panel i would be looking at extending the system into the both the communal stairwell with detection as well as the hallway of each flat (heat detector in each flat hallway) so if the pub has a fire activation it alerts the residents of each flat and if a flat has an activation (through heat detection only) this would activate throughout including the pub. Fitting heat detectors minimises the chance of a false alarm when someone in a flat decides to have a midnight snack and burns the toast!

Each flat should also have an independant 240v smoke alarm/s fitted to alert the resident in case of fire.

Agreed you need to consult the local authority for guidance. Good luck on that one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back