Fire alarm sensor removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove/replace a fire alarm sensor so I can plasterboard a ceiling. I'll need to poke the red cables through the new board and reconnect the sensor. Can i just go ahead and remove it?

It's the red cable red sensor type. The sensors have resistors inside.

Thanks.

Dan.[/list]

Sponsored Links
since it has fp200, i have to ask is this in a commercial premises, which if it is, means you are not quallified / insured to do the job. In which case you will need a fire alarm company or an electrcian who knows about fire alarms.

when its takemn down the fire alarm pale should register a fault, you then have to be careful how you put it back in order for the alarm to continue to work as it did before you touched it and also test it.

Removing the head should also cause the panel to fault. Like breezer says, you need someone who knows what they are doing, especially if it is pyro!

No it is not commercial. The premises is a georgian building that was converted into flats many years ago.

The head had already been removed prior to my arrival and the wires are exposed. I can mark each wire easily enough and I have taken a couple of photos so I am 100% confident that it'll go back the same. I just wanted to be prepared.

???

Sponsored Links
There is already a fault showing on the panel, I assume that happened when the owner removed the head.

So it's a multi-occupancy building then, get the professionals in via the building owners who I would suspect are responsible for the fire alarm system.

[ Why have they not fixed it, do they know it is not working? When was it last serviced? the list can go on & on ]

Don't 'do it yourself' - problem in the future, building burns down, or worse, no alarm, who was the last person to touch it, you were, work it out.

This is a Fire Alarm, not a burglar alarm, peoples lives are at risk here, do it properly, don't compromise.

..and no, I'm not a fire alarm engineer, just using common sense.

There is already a fault showing on the panel, I assume that happened when the owner removed the head.

You're probably right - however the only people who should be working on these types of system where life can depend on it should be competent.

All sorted.

I just added some more studs in the end and boarded around it. Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back