fire cleaning?

R

Rio

Hi! Just decorated my lounge. Trouble is my black cast iron living flame gas fire wasn't covered & has emulsion specks on it! Also the removable coals need a clean. An ordinary cloth leaves fluffy bits stuck to the black surround? Does anyone know of a cleaner specially for this purpose? Thanks Rio.

Sponsored Links
For the surround, look for Zebo or Zebrite in your neighbourhood hardware shop - if you are lucky enough still to have one. Otherwise on the web. This stuff has been around for centuries and does a grand job - though you need to buff it up with something, which could get you back into the cloth and fluff problem. Goes on with a brush and probably would buff up with a brush too.
For the coals? I could do with an answer on that one too!
PJ

for the coals a dry paint brush and go gentle
if there discoloured tou can buy spacial spray paint

let it dry before you light the fire one of our lot didnt

effect was rarther spectacular to say the least :LOL:

Can you get away with an auto spray matt black on the coals if you are really careful to let it dry first? Only a suggestion - but I have some discoloured coals I'd like to get blacked a bit.
Incidentally, I did paint the fireback with Zebo thinned with white spirit a while ago. That worked OK. It was a very artificial black at first byt now the fire's been lit a few times it looks just like a coal fireback would look.
PJ

Sponsored Links
Hi! Thanks for your help . Will try Zebrite or Zebo but I haven't managed to find the product yet! Meanwhile I'll try some diluted Fairy liquid on a toothbrush to see if I can a least get the emulsion off. Maybe the Fairy will work her magic wand! ;) Cheers all!

I had to strip several generations of paint off mine (original 1896) and found that I could be quite brutal with the stripping process - including sharp pointy objects and wire brushes. Zebo made it all come good in the end. Available online in several places.
PJ

Rio said:
Will try Zebrite or Zebo but I haven't managed to find the product yet!
I has this problem but they are only available in a difference name, see this, great for cleaning my lead light window !

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My most sincere apologies for being misleading, and I'm gutted. There was something really authentic about using the original product on the original fireplace. It was still in stock in a shop near me a couple of months ago, but presumably that's the last of it. I will rush down and buy up the rest of their stock - if I'm not too late.

It's ok I've managed to get the spots of emulsion paint off with the Fairy liquid & the whole fire seems to have cleaned up nicely. I've also washed the coals & although they look a bit dull (as coals should) they have spruced up quite a bit. I will endeavour to find the product Zebrite however for future use! :confused: I have two other rooms with these original firegrates. Thanks for all your help I'm now going to start on the bathroom so watch out for some more DIY questions! Cheers! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back