Fire door question between utility room and workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are designing our layout for a new utility room on the side of our house, from which we will have a door into what will be left of my garage that is behind.

I believe that because it will still be classed officially as a "garage" even though it will be a very small workshop, that we will need to have a fire door between the utility room and the workshop...correct ??

Also, does the fire door need to open "in to" the garage or "in to" the utility room ???

thanks in advance
Sean

Sponsored Links
you are correct in thinking a fire door will be necessary.

after all, it may still be large enough to accommodate a motorbike.

it matters not whether the door opens in or out. it will need a self-closing device, intumescent strips to the frame, secure locking and a frame without a sill.

workshop = white spirit, paint, oily rags, meths, blowlamp etc.

as well as the fire door a detector with sounder inside the house would be a great idea.

thanks for the replies guys.

Although i must say, if i dragged a motorbike through what will be the "wifes" new utility room into what will be my postage stamp sized workshop, lets just say, i would have to sew them back on first !!! :D

thanks again

Sponsored Links
if the only access to the workshop is via the utility room then it becomes an internal room

You need to make sure you have a window that is fitted with escape hinges

Thats true , but a workshop isnt a place where i would like to be trapped, or anywhere else actually. :D

I would suggest that it would be prudent to include such a facility in any area where you may spend some time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back