Fire proof transom window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, hope someone can help,

In my single storey, flat I took down a wall which separated the kitchen from the reception room to make a kitchen/living area. This new room is connected via a door to the hallway (that has two bedrooms and a bathroom off it), which in turn leads to the front door. All ground floor. Building control are asking that the door between the kitchen/reception and the hallway be fireproof. I thought that because it was ground floor and the escape route (bedroom through hallway to front door) doesn't pass through the kitchen/reception room it wouldn't need a fire door.

But anyway, if it IS required, what do I do about the large transom window above the door? Is it necessary and possible to make that fireproof as well? I can't fill it in without losing a lot of light into the hallway area. Any thoughts welcome. Property is an 1880s mansion block if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
gravamen, good evening.

Back in the day [1960s] Georgian wired glass was extensively used in "Fire proof" escape doors, albeit in relatively small panes ?

Same glass used where [ I saw a property last week where this situation still exists] there is an external unprotected fire escape over three floors. all and any windows directly facing the escape [still] have Georgian wired glass in the sashes, the window I saw contains three sashes, two have plane glass but the one directly facing the exposed escape has the Georgian wire glass.

Could be that a [relatively] simple glass change could solve your problem??

Ken

The key is compartmentation. So anything separating the two areas will be required to withstand 30 minutes of fire - walls, doors, windows, floors, ceilings.

So it's not just the fire door, but the fire door set - which includes the door, frame and any glazing which is part of the frame.

I don't think that GW glass is acceptable nowadays as it can't be certified to 30 minutes. If that is the case, then you will need the more expensive pyro-glass in a suitable frame.

A sprinkler or mist system and alarm with heat and smoke detectors may be an alternative. Ask the inspector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back