fire rated downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i am planning to fit downlighters in my kitchen ceiling , 240v 50w bulbs, do they need to be firerated ?, space above is tongue and groove floorboards with no insulation , or could i put a 35w buld in instead , thanks.

Sponsored Links
Put what ever you fancy in.

The fire requirement is only for properties that have multiple owners (flat above) or rented places where multiple occupancy situations apply.

35w isn't very powerful.

Yawn- Part P applies, unless your doing maintenance swop's to existing fittings.

240v 50W downlights won't be that bright either. Not for a kitchen anyway. You'll be better off with 12v 50W for a kitchen. ;)

Sponsored Links
have knocked my dinning room through to the kitchen and was planning on fitting 12 lights, didnt like the idea of using transformers , having to rip up floor boards if and when they eventually fail

You don't have to.

A decent modern electronic transformer is not much bigger than a matchbox, and can easily be pushed through the hole cut out for your downlighter.

Don't forget to add up all the lights on the same circuit, and check that they don't add up to much more than 1200W

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back