Fire!

Bas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just discovered a nasty problem on the electrical installation of a old cottage my partner recently bought, on the E7 Consumer Unit inside the main 100A isolator was very very badly burnt and lots of melted plastic suurounded it. The CU is in a cupboard under the stairs and from the outside of the CU no visible problems could be seen. The problem looked like a loose connection or a faulty switch. My point is that it is clearly worth a regular check on Electrical item if fires are to be prevented. The CU is now changed and a smoke alarm placed in the cupboard to warn of any future problems.
Incidentally the surveyor didn't spot it (in fairness as I said you couldnt see the problem with the lid on) but she did comment that she was pleased to see a RCD CU had been fitted, in fact it was only an isolator equipped CU rather than an RCD protected unit!

Sponsored Links
Has anyone noticed that modern consumer units only provide a single clamping screw to connections, whilst in the olden days, there were two brass clamping screws to every connection?

Is this a bid to cut costs, as the risk of a bad connection increases as a result?

its not to cut costs, as it costs more to make! the problem was that for single copper cored cables of 'smaller gauge' were cut in half by the screw, you get a better conn with new ones anyway, unless you are not doing them right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back