Firebird Oil Combi C26 - no hot water pressure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The boiler was only installed 4 weeks ago. The pressure for the hot water has dropped to barely a trickle throughout the house. The water that does come through is hot and the boiler fires.

The pressure gauge shows green and is stable.

The CH is fine.

I cut the power to the boiler to "reset" with no luck.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the cold is ok then check any inlet filters on the boiler mains water supply are clear.

Thanks for the quick reply Tibbot.

The cold is fine.

Keep in mind I am a plumbing thicko. I searched the manual for inlet "filters" and only came up with filters for the oil intakes.

Can you re-word for a dumb *** ;)

I suspect I had better just call a plumber out.

Sponsored Links
Not all ( many ) boilers have cold water inlet filters.

Even when there is not, these is usually a flow restrictor which has small orifices for the water to pass through which can easily get blocked by debris in the pipe.

I dont advise you to start fiddling with your boiler yourself. You should call the installers who fitted it.

Of course all new pipework should be flushed out but the cowboys who fit a boiler in one day usually dont bother.

Tony

Cheers Tony - The cold water is fine. I'll call the installer back in. I was trying to avoid that because he is a *****.

Thanks

depending on which firebird it is, it may have a blending valve, and these can easily get blocked on the hot inlet side.

to locate the blending valve, remove the front panel, and look for a chrome looking valve with a plastic head and 3 pipes going in/out of it. on the plastic head there are numbers to represent the desired hot water temp. if you rotate the dial from 'max' to min and the hot water flow increases, then the blending valve is blocked on the hot inlet.

Hi Tim

I found the valve - blue plastic - would not budge ;-(

Personally I wouldnt mess around if youre not that much of a plumber as IF you get it wrong you could quite quickly end up flooding the house, tripping the electrics both in the boiler/house, it sounds like a blockage somewhere on the cold feed coming into the boiler, as if you had hot water for a few weeks it is unlikely to be the blending valve
also has there been any major water works going on in your area, as with the recent hard freeze that can block the filter,
IF you didnt get on well with your last plumber/installer...get 1 that you can get on with :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back