Fireplace brick sleaer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently renovating my house and have an old exposed brick fireplace with brick herth, which I would like to keep. I will be putting in a multi-fuel stove.

However a few of the bricks on the breast are old and very flaky or crumble when rubbed.

Does anyone know of a sealer that I can apply to the bricks to stop them doing this/protect them from further corrosion?

or would I be better off toothing out these few bricks and replacing them with newer close matching bricks or going the whole hog and just plastering the entire chimney breast.

Your advise please...................

Sponsored Links
You can get proprietary brick sealers or use a clear SBR (or even PVA) sealer; weather or no this will be sufficient to prevent further crumbling of the bricks is difficult to say without seeing how bad they are in which case toothing in close match new bricks may be the best solution.

If you decide to plaster, it’s important you do not use conventional Gypsum based plaster or plaster board products in areas around the stove where the temperature exceeds 50 degrees C or the plaster WILL fail. You need to use a sand/cement/lime render with a heat proof finish plaster (Vitcas) in the areas at least 300 mm either side & 800mm above the fire opening

Are you aware that installing a stove is subject to several Building Regulations & is controlled building work :!: It's notifyable to your LABC for inspection & possible witness test unless you use a HETAS registered installer. You will need a compliance certificate (issued by one or the other) for the stove if you want to avoid problems when you sell & to avoid the risk of invalidating your property insurance in the event of a problem. ;)

Rich,

Cheers. Ye stove is being fitted by a stove company with the correct certs.

If I get it plastered a plasterer mate will do it for me.

Sealer or replacing individual bricks is all I will be doing.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
If I get it plastered a plasterer mate will do it for me.
That doesn't mean anything; you would be surprised how many plasterer’s don't actually know there is quiet a low heat tolerance with Gypsum plaster & plasterboard products. I didn’t until all the plaster on my first ever stove job fell off the wall after 3 months & I had to re-do it all & I’ve plastering for a few years now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back