Fireplace - Gap between lintels into cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post so please go easy on me

We moved into a new build last year with a wood burning stove and come the winter I was disappointed with the amount of heat the fire kicked out.

After some inspection, I noticed within the recess there are two lintels but with about a 4 inch gap between them which appears to go up in to the cavity (for now I've just blocked with a piece of polystyrene as you can feel a draught coming from it)

Is it usual for there to be a gap like this in a fireplace or would you expect it to be fully sealed, just feels like any heat generated by the fire will go up into the cavity and I'll have nice warm walls instead of a nice warm room!

We do have two ventilation grills in the room leading to the outside which I believe is for ventilating the room due to new builds being more air tight and is a reg for rooms with fireplaces.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Jonno

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
That's an Identification Badge on the underside of the lintel. You can look the installer company up and maybe ask their advice. It does seem that a sealing plate is missing. Maybe removed by previous homeowner ? Or fallen off. Hetas registered installers for these. The air vent is probabley for correct combustion / ventilation of the appliance. Manufacturers Instructions will state that. Should also have a CO detector in the room.

Sponsored Links
What is missing here is "you really do need a HETAS installer to look at that", & not DiyNot's peculiar brand of soshal meedya boomshakalaka.

Someone will be along shortly to blame Brexit & then it will degenerate into a discussion of how many years Trump should serve in prison.

You really should get a HETAS installer to look at that, 'cos it's just a picture with a few words . . . . & death by CO might be painless but it's a real bummer if you were planning to do anything next week.

Back