fireplace help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don't know what happened to my last post about this so I thought I would ask again. A few months ago I removed the fireplace in my front room with the intenstion of replacing it with a wood burning stove. I have gone off this idea and now would like to enlarge the opening by about 6" on each side and after plastering and installing a new hearth, put a fire basket in the opening. I would like to know if I need to do anything special to the chimney to do this i.e; install a flue. The chimney was swept about 8 months ago and I have only had about three fires in it since. will the smoke just get drawn up the chimney anyway. all suggestions welcome :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I would have the chimney checked out by a gas bloke who will do a smoke test to check if it is drawing correctly.
I'm sure the nice gas man will only be too happy to help a damsel in distress :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks Fitz1 but if I was using the fireplace previously (when I had a grate, backpanel and fire surround) why do I need a flue?, shouldn't it already have one?

Never assume anything, and have it checked properly.

Fumes can be very dangerous and people have died in the past where fumes have been allowed to come back into the room.
:(

Thanks Bahco. I won't be able to appreciate my fireplace if I'm dead!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back