Fireplace Opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted similar to this elsewhere as i overlooked this section. I have opened up a fireplace in which i want to tile over the bricks. I have removed plaster from the wall too where i want to tile, to keep it flush with coming out of the fireplace opening. The bricks what were under the plaster are very dusty (from the old plaster) (and some soot staines within the fireplace). I am no expert at tiling and wish to purchase products ready mixed etc. How and what would you do to prep the surface and what tile adhesive given the high temperatures they will be exposed to once the stove is fitted? View media item 57185

Sponsored Links
If you are still there, then just a few observations:

1. You will require a view from a HETAS person to determine if your hearth will have the required thickness over the floor and flooring. And if

2. the elec. outlets might be too close to the stove.

3. Do you intend to stop tile at the fire opening? And leaving the fire opening in clear brick?
Have you cleaned all the soot from the brickwork?

4. Use Bal Rapid-set as an adhesive, and as a layered filler for minor "fills".
Merely follow Mfr's the instructions for mixing.

5. Some use coloured silicons for grouting, but i think that you'd be OK with ordinary grout.

Thanks for the reply mate. the plug socket has been moved, and the hearth is fine. the left hand wardrobe has been made flush with fireplace wall upto 1.5m where it then comes out again. I just want to tile upto and around fireplace recess but paint in it. trying to find how to get soot off bricks now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back