Fireplace renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after a bit of a dispute with our neighbour, we decided the best option was to install a wood burner and get our chimney lined and backfilled.

This is a photo of the open fireplace that looks very nice, but isn't very practical as it hardly gives any heat output when burning....

To be replaced with this:

After removing the open fireplace:

Building up the fireplace wall:

I'll have to take a decent photo of the burner in position, but the next stage is to get the Hetas engineer out to reline and backfill the chimney and connect our burner to the chimney which is going to be the expensive part! But it's looking great, I hope this will seriously reduce our heating bills as we have plenty of free wood available to burn for heat![/img]

Sponsored Links
We did our fireplace 2 years ago, so far saved £500 per year in gas. I would remove all of the plaster from your chimney breast to see if you have an arch like ours, then clean, clean and clean, then repoint and seal, you also get a lot of heat from both the wood burner and the flue pipe. Your wood burner looks big and if you line the walls with fire bricks which you don't need to do, if you go back to brick, I don't think you will have the enough space for your wood burner you need 6 inches of space both sides to meet regs. Also look at reclamation yards for some 9inch quarry tiles, Mine cost £ 3 each and i think look better than buying brand new and new ones you can't get 1 3/4 thick so they could crack with the heat and weight of the wood burner. Hope my photo helps. View media item 57336 [/img]

I don't think you will have the enough space for your wood burner you need 6 inches of space both sides to meet regs.

Indeed you are correct, we have have a gap of 150mm either side of the burner to meet regs.

Also look at reclamation yards for some 9inch quarry tiles, Mine cost £ 3 each and i think look better than buying brand new and new ones you can't get 1 3/4 thick so they could crack with the heat and weight of the wood burner. Hope my photo helps.

We've gone for 600x600 marble tiles for the base, I'll take a photo and upload

Your fireplace looks awesome, but we've decided to keep the wood surround, here's an idea of what our's looks like now:

firefox8gasstovepackage__58990.jpg

Sponsored Links
So far so good, but:

OP, i'd suggest that you do no further work on the fireplace opening until the HETAS person has had a view.

Perhaps, read up on similar posts over the last two months?

Jason, well done, if you dont mind me saying so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back