fireplace switch works sometimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas fireplace (fireplace is Majestic brand) switch works occassionally when I press it. It works if I press it hard, and in the right place a few times, then place a toothpick under it to keep it in place. It's only three years old. Should I replace the switch? Why doesn't the electricity to that switch turn off when I shut off the breaker?

Sponsored Links
It does sound like a dodgy switch, although my Canadian regs knowledge isn't up to much.

berniesmith said:
Should I replace the switch?
Well, are you happy with it only working occasionally, and having to press it hard, and in the right place a few times, then place a toothpick under it to keep it in place, or would you like it to work properly?

Why doesn't the electricity to that switch turn off when I shut off the breaker?
Because you are shutting off the wrong breaker..

The correct breaker was switched off, and I also switched off every breaker for the whole house. As for the last post---don't even bother posting if you don't know the answer. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any intelligent advice.

Sponsored Links
I`m wondering if it`s a piezo crystal ignition (no mains wiring feeding it) and the switch (button) is faulty hence toothpick

Is it a BS toothpick or an American one?

If it was a UK gas lighting button that you had to wedge in place to keep the gas alight, then it would be because the flame failure device or thermocouple was faulty. Holding the button down would override the safety cutout.

I think you should have it mended.

berniesmith said:
The correct breaker was switched off, and I also switched off every breaker for the whole house. As for the last post---don't even bother posting if you don't know the answer. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any intelligent advice.
FFS.

You describe a switch which is so broken and clanky that you have to resort to ridiculous measures and bodges to get it to do its job, and then you ask if you should replace it? What kind of an answer do you expect to get? One which says "no, don't replace it, it's supposed to work like that"?

As for the breaker, if you say that you have a current using appliance, but when you turn off the breaker the supply is not interrupted, there are two possibilities.

1) You've got the wrong breaker because they are incorrectly labelled, or because the appliance is supplied from a circuit you would not expect (both of which are quite common).

2) You know so little about your appliance that you don't even realise it does not have an electrical supply.

I went for the option which did not assume you were an idiot, but what would you have preferred me to do?

In fact it reminds me of another story where someone told a client
"Pack your computer back in its box, return it to the shop, demand a full refund and also compensation because they had no right to sell you that computer because you are far too stupid to use one"

Wasn`t you was it Ban ? Hahhahahahahahahahah

:LOL: I've read that too :LOL:

But like I said - I didn't make the assumption that Bernie knew nothing about how his gas fire works....

Yes I know,
I`ve not stopped larfing yet,
Carry on Ban I`m enjoying it.
Me ribs are hurting

ban-all-sheds said:
berniesmith said:
FFS.

You describe a switch which is so broken and clanky that you have to resort to ridiculous measures and bodges to get it to do its job, and then you ask if you should replace it? What kind of an answer do you expect to get? One which says "no, don't replace it, it's supposed to work like that"?

As for the breaker, if you say that you have a current using appliance, but when you turn off the breaker the supply is not interrupted, there are two possibilities.

1) You've got the wrong breaker because they are incorrectly labelled, or because the appliance is supplied from a circuit you would not expect (both of which are quite common).

2) You know so little about your appliance that you don't even realise it does not have an electrical supply.

I went for the option which did not assume you were an idiot, but what would you have preferred me to do?

or:

3) The breaker's faulty (unlikely but possible).

(I'm betting on the piezo ignition with flame failure device. A ~3 year old mechanical switch is unlikely to need "pressing hard in the right places a few times".)

It beats the 'ell out of me why anyone in Canada would be asking questions of a UK forum.
The question arises....does he need a map to find his a.....

Might He not be an American living here perhaps (just a thought)

ebee said:
Might He not be an American living here perhaps (just a thought)

No, he says:

berniesmith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back