Fireplace woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Im in a bit of a spot. Im trying to reinstate a victorian fire place... in a victorian flat. Ive read up on what to do and how to do it, but Im very much stumped.
In the 60s the fireplace was removed and a gas fire put in leaving a 3 brick hole to vent it(at this point the house was split in to flats).

Ive removed the plaster from the wall to find there isn't an arch...there are a few gently curved bricks creating a 3 inch high arch constructed of 4 bricks laid lenghtways. Great I think, time to fit a lintle, but then I find that there are no sides to the fireplace, so rather than the fire place hole just being bricked up - leaving a clear side/edge, the bricks continue over lapping right to the edge of the chimney breast.

Now I don't mind if the fire place is just ornamental but it has to be safe. How would I install a lintel and then knock out the bricks below to provide a good safe finish for fitting the fire place?

Thanks

Jonnym2009

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back