Fireproofing waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I've had a garage built onto the side of my house which is now "almost" finished. I had the BCO out today for a final inspection and all is OK except that he said that the waste pipe that is now inside the garage has to be boxed in to meet fire safety regs. He also mentioned that I could use what I think he called a "fire shield" instead to surround the point where the waste pipe goes through the wall.

Does anyone know the best/easiest way to comply with the regs?Can someone help me out with what a fire shield is. Alternatively, what exactly do I need to box it in with? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. As its only a garage can I just box it with timber to avoid having to get a plasterer in? If so, how thick wood is acceptable for 30min fire protection, and would I just seal the edges with intumescent paste?

Sponsored Links
ady1968 said:
As its only a garage can I just box it with timber to avoid having to get a plasterer in?

er....no. timber aint that good as a fire retarder. where as skimmed plasterboard is. thats why you line all things flammable with plaster products.

Yep fair point. I just wondered as the fire door is obviously timber. I'll get it boxed in and get a plasterer to skim. Thanks

ady1968 said:
Yep fair point. I just wondered as the fire door is obviously timber. I'll get it boxed in and get a plasterer to skim. Thanks

a fire door is 44mm thick. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back