First floor maisonette, radiator needed at bottom of stairs?

Well I wouldn't in my own home for the simple reason the more radiators you have the lower the temperature from the boiler needs to be...

Hi ALEC1,

I really don't understand how cutting down on radiators will mean having to increase the boiler temperature?

Sponsored Links
Having less surface area to transfer heat means the rads would have to be hotter averaged over a whole property but that's not really the case here, and any consequence is minor. It would be a tiny radiator.

Knowing a lot of properties just like yours, I'd suggest that the hall radiator needs to be by the top of the stairs rather than further along as I think it's shown. Otherwise you'll probably feel some coolth as you come out of the bathroom, because there's no door(?) to the stairs.
People don't seem to mind having it cool down by the front door, BUT there can be a problem with condensation. It's unpredictable, probably depending on the aspect (NSEW) of the wall. If warm steamy air gets to cooler walls it can condense and leave patches of mould on the wall. It does only take a small amount of heat to counteract it, even a pipe run round an outside wall, will do the job.
There doesn't seem to be a problem if there's a door at the top. Heat from the flat below - who knows?
In your case on balance I'd replace ugly pipes with neat beautiful ;) pipes and use a small rad. They're pretty cheap. You can always turn it almost off.

I think Chris is right on this one.

To answer the question the kw rating of the total sum of the heat output of the radiators is arrived at by a heat loss calculation, so if the the whole flat needs 7kws that is what the heat output of the system will be. If you remove one radiator then that could drop to 6.4kws. To get to the required temperature the lower number of radiators have to be hotter to emit the same amount of heat 7kws.

To complicate this further the 7kws of heat is only required when it is say -3c outside (design temperature) and the rest of the time you need less than 7kws.

so if you remove the radiator you may only notice it when it is very cold outside and then you will think gosh its cold outside, not I have a radiator too few!

Sponsored Links
Its not relly necessary but many people do like to provide a bit of heat at the entrance to give a comfort feeling on entry in spite of the cost od perhaps 6% more on the heating bill.

You should not remove a rad because someone else would want to use it. Just turn off the rad if YOU dont want heat there.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back