First/second fix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've done a lot of remedial work on a 1920s brick built end terrace and am now looking at a 4m extension on the 1½ storey end.
I intend to do the great majority of internal finishing work myself, can anyone give me some sort of definition of the terms first fix and second fix, as they generally relate to building work in Scotland. I'd ideally like a wind and waterproof shell with floor joists laid, is there a technical term for this stage?.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
trialscot said:
I intend to do the great majority of internal finishing work myself, can anyone give me some sort of definition of the terms first fix and second fix
First fix: the installation work that you do first, generally when there's access to underfloor areas and when the walls are bare brick/block. For plumbing this involved installing pipework, and possibly a boiler, but no rads, no sanitaryware, and there's no water involved. For electrics, cables are run and laid, and back boxes are affixed to walls, but no accessories are installed and no new circuits are energised. For carpentry this will be work on studwork walls and the doorways. A building control officer, if involved, will want to see everything.

Second fix: the installation work you do second, generally when walls are covered and floors are down. There aren't necessarily carpets, but might be. The walls aren't necessarily painted, but might be. Bathrooms and kitchens would be fitted out at this stage, and electrical accessories installed. Testing and commissioning and would follow at an agreed time.

I'd ideally like a wind and waterproof shell with floor joists laid, is there a technical term for this stage?
Shell, carcass, something like that.

trialscot said:
Hi,
I'd ideally like a wind and waterproof shell with floor joists laid, is there a technical term for this stage?.

"Wind and waterproof" is a stage most people recognise and some banks/building societies lend at that stage. Just be sure if you are getting someone in to take it to that stage that you will get the amount of work completed that you are expecting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back