First time DIY'er installing pipe run for central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps... Ive been browsing this forum for some time and thought Id bite the bullet and sign up.

We've bought a bungalow which needs a fair bit of work, Ive already chased the walls ready for the central heating pipe work. Next step once the pipe turns up is to run them - can anyone tell me the best way to run the pipes up in the loft in a way its easy to get to your feed and return? Ive seen the plastic clips which lay flat next to each other but nothing where by they sit horizontally. Am I missing a technique here?

Thanks!
shabba

Sponsored Links
You'll need to T into them and cross over one or t'other if that's what you mean?

Use a pipe bender or, as I'm no good at them and don't own one, I use 45 angles.

Cool thats what I thought, I just wasnt sure if the bends would effect the flow but I guess they're only gradual bends it shouldnt effect it too much?

Also when I run the copper pipes down the chased wall, do I need to apply anything before the pipe is in and before the wall is feathered to help stop any cracking?

Cheers

If your embedding copper pipes in plaster/cement then the pipes need covering or they will corrode.

Chase pipes in wall wrapped in tape, then cover with layer of felt insulation and finally cover with a strip of expanded metal and plaster onto that.

This way the pipes will be protected and also be free to expand and contract without affecting the plaster finish.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should have made myself a little clearer, Ive bought some of those foam sleeves to wrap around the pipe which will be in the walls 15mm - Ive actually bought the 22mm ones for the pipe runs in the loft also.

I dont know why but Im sure someone said apply pva or something else to the chases to help stop them cracking when they are plastered over?

The PVA stops all the moisture being absorbed into the walls when you apply the plaster to them. But that's a plastering issue rather than a plumbing issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back