first time painting new plasterwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Is it wise or essential to unibond or pva new plasterwork with a diluted mix of 1 part pva to 5 parts water?

Our plasterer said just use standard emulsion diluted 1 part emulsion to 1 part water.

What would be best? I have lived in some houses where new plaster has not been correctly first time painted and the paint comes off at some point later in uneven patches - this is difficult to rectify later.

Regards, Roy

Sponsored Links
DO NOT use PVA.

All you need to do is dilute emulsion by around 25-30 % depending on how thick the emulsion your using is.
Best thing to do is go and get yourself a bucket of cheap contract matt. The quality of the paint is not important as the point of the exercise is to satisfy the porousity of the plaster

I am currently research on what colours to paint for our bedroom now we have got it plastered last week but i am getting conflicting advice from family and friends about adding oil to the wall before paint .

I am completely new to paint as we have had wallpaper for the last 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back