Fit laminate in a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Walking through the doorway, the window will be to the right, therefore I may need to start to lay the first board of laminate from one door frame/architrave to the other. I've cut the very bottom of the architraves with a saw. Will I need to apply wood glue to join the second board or could I just click them together?

Also, I've applied self leveling compound towards the end of the concrete floor to repair damaged areas on the vinyl tiles caused by the removal of nails from the carpet wood strips. Even though I've tried to level the ends with the trowel as much as possible, it's still not 100% even, but it's uneven by 2mm or 3mm where the ends of the self leveling compound meets the tiles, similar to the height of water dropped from a cup onto a surface. It's so hard that it's very difficult to sand down. Perhaps I could use some bits of plastic sheets by those areas, or shall I just leave it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What you describe in your post sounds confusing to me.
Could you post a couple of photos of the doorway and the SLC repair strip?

What underlay are you considering?

What you describe in your post sounds confusing to me.
Could you post a couple of photos of the doorway and the SLC repair strip?

What underlay are you considering?

Here we go. The window is on the right hand side of pic 1, manufacturer recommends to have the boards in direction of light. I also have an built-in wardorbe (part of the masonery) on the right hand side of the door frame, so will have to put a bit of laminate there as well.

So, as per pic 1, board will be laid starting from the door frame, from left to right, will I need wood glue to join the first 2 boards by the door frame?

I have not taken the tiles out, too hard and these are glued with bitumous adhesive. Self leveling compound overlaps 1mm, sometimes 3mm onto the tiles. Can I put some bits of plastic sheets on the tiles to even out or is it ok as it is? I will also lay a DPM sheet (just to be cautious) and then 3mm underlay.

Thanks again.

DPM & Door Frame.JPG
Door Frame.JPG

Presumably you intend to stop in the doorway at the door stops - have you thought of a transition threshold/bar?
What type of flooring is going down in the next room?

Dont lay any sheets of plastic. I cant see why you would need a DPM either.
A belt sander will shift any SLC to a feathered finish but you have to be cautious about sanding the tiles.
Perhaps a thicker underlay will help - ask the laminate Mfr's.

Gluing what where is best explained by youtube videos of laminate installation - there are lots of them.

Sponsored Links
You don't start at door frame, you would start top left of room working left to right , so with window on right that would be the far corner you can see thru the doorway. Finish at doorway wall.You need to measure carefully to ensure you don't finish at the doorway with a thin slither of flooring, minimum would be 1/3 of a board width.

Hey there, well I totally agree with foxhole and its worth getting into consideration to get along with the solution you require. All the best!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back