fit MDF round a bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some tel me how i go about fitting the mdf skirting around a bay as im not sure how to get it to bend

Sponsored Links
i already have the skirting its the torus from B&Q about 6" high i dont think it will bend without snapping i did read somewhere you can cut groves in the back but im not sure how to go about this

busterdude said:
i already have the skirting its the torus from B&Q about 6" high i dont think it will bend without snapping i did read somewhere you can cut groves in the back but im not sure how to go about this

use a saw

flexible mdf does indeed have lots of grooves in it

you actualy bend it so the grooves are vertical

so i suggest you saw it vertical

problem

too deep a cut and you cut mdf in half

too shallow mdf will snap

also you will see lots of grroves agianst wall

it realy does have a lot of grooves (and i mean lots)

Sponsored Links
first and foremost patience is the key to bending skirting around bay windows.i did mine 5 years ago and they have never moved a millimetre.
1st of all i had a thin strip of mdf say(5mmx18mm)which is longer than your desired radius,i then tacked it to the bay wall and marked the mitres,then cut the mitres on the strip of mdf and try the fit.i then transfered the strip of mdf to my skirting and marked my mitres and then cut.once cut ,i then placed the skirting in approx position and pushed the middle slightly into the bay useing 12" long slate battons nailed or screwed to the floorboards,this process is then repeated every day until the skirting fits correctly against the mitres and bay wall.finally when happy with the results i glued and pinned the mitres,grippfill and exp foamed the skirting back to the plastered wall.
sorry for the essay but i hope it helps.
regards steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back