Fitting 15mm Isolation Valve to 15mm or 1/2 inch copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to replace an isolation valve as it leaks through the screw when turned off (I need to repair a leaking joint above so might as well change the valve at the same time) so reading through this forum I may have either 15mm or 1/2 inch copper pipes (house is 150 plus years old and lead pipes have been replaced with copper but I've no idea when). Looking on line and in the shops all there seems to be is 15mm valves, etc so if I but one of these will the olives supplied be OK if the pipe turns out to be 1/2 inch?
As an aside how compatable are 15mm items such as pushfit, etc with 1/2 inch pipe work?
Many thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
1/2 inch is very slightly fatter. Vigorous cleaning with emery cloth or similar will help, if olives etc are tight. Don't use 15mm pushfit, some makes do 1/2" pushfit converters.
COmpression is usually the way to go, to convert.
Yorkshires usually fit too, come to think of it.

Sponsored Links
So 15mm olives should be OK, it might just need a bit of elbow work on the pipe to get them to fit?
You might find the pipes are a bit smaller too. Copper olives compress more easily that brass ones. Finally, if you have room, use full bore lever valves instead of the smaller iso's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back