Fitting 3 x 2kW panel heaters in a flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got 3 electric panel heaters, all 2kW with built in timers and stats to fit in a small 2 bed flat. there's a single ring main throughout. It would be very convenient to feed them all off the ring mains circuit via double pole FCUs. Total max current drawn is going to be in the region of 26A, which only leaves 6A left.

It's a middle storey flat, no loft above and cant get the floorboards up so fitting new circuits would require trunking and look horrible.

Is what I'm proposing OK?

Sponsored Links
Not very good design and leaves very little for anything else..

Personally I wouldn't run them off the ring..new circuit.

How about some D-line trunking above the skirt..????

Or MT.. at ceiling and then drop down to heaters..

Youwill find that most landlords couldn't give a chuff about looks, it's all about the cheapest way to do the job, but it's up to you to do it right.

Another possibility - iIf you can install one of the heaters reasonably near to the consumer unit, and the existing circuit is a 2.5mm ring on a 32A breaker:

1. Split the ring at a suitable point and change it into 2x 20A radials.
2. Put one heater on each of the radial circuits.
3. Put the third heater on it's own 16A circuit from the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Another possibility - iIf you can install one of the heaters reasonably near to the consumer unit, and the existing circuit is a 2.5mm ring on a 32A breaker:

Now THAT is an outstanding idea! :cool:

Now THAT is an outstanding idea! :cool:

Like the thinking! Is 20A breaker for a 2.5mm radial? I'm not sure of the installation method?

these are very basic question..
are you qualified to be installing electrics for money?

if you can't pull the floorboards up, why not?
if they are chipboard floors then a SBC and plugs is one way to go..

By the way, a B10 breaker is more than enough for a 2kW heater, the design current will be just under nine amps each.

Have each heater on its own separate B10 breaker, that's the only practical way to do it - trunking can be over painted to match the decor! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back