Fitting a chrome dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I want to fit a chrome dimmer in place of a plastic switch. I have take pictures of the current install as I'm a little confused.

My guess is that I detach the yellow and green from the box and attach to the grounding cable on the dimmer? Otherwise the switch would be live right?!

The L1, L2, Comm stuff confuses me. I can see I have an L1 on my dimmer, so that makes sense. What doesn't is the Comm one on the old switch, should that to to the last port on the dimmer? The arrow and wavy line?! Or! L2?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_103620.jpg
    IMG_20170520_103620.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20170520_103635.jpg
    IMG_20170520_103635.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
The arrow and wavy line symbol is the symbol for VARIABLE OUTPUT, Ie the wire going to the lightbulb.
In a majority of cases like yours this would be the Blue wire with the Brown sleeving on.

Do be aware that not all lightbulbs and fittings are actually Dimmable, they have to be compatible.

It is preferable for your Earth wire to be connected to the switch AND the metal
back box

Does the dimmer instructions state that it will fit a 16mm box, looks dubious.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a box for it, it was left over from a bathroom renovation as a spare. I thought all switches were universal size? Not sure I follow here.

Thanks for the note about dimmable, yes, I have an led flush light which is dimmable (with fixed bulb).

Oh and really I should get a small length of earth wire and connect to the box and switch, and leave existing earth cable where it is?

Ah I get you, sorry, being a numpty, you mean the depth of the box, because of the black bit on the back of the dimmer. I wee what you mean. I'll check it out.

I doubt that your LED light will work with that dimmer.

It needs a load of at least 60watts (its written on the dimmer!)

I doubt that your LED light is anything like 60 wattts!. 5 watts, maybe.

So you'll need an LED-compatable low-load dimmer. The Varilight V-Pro is a decent make.

Ah, I see, I did not notice that, or realise it. Many thanks for pointing it out. With most people using led or energy saving, 60w seems like a very high load no? Considering this was purchased about a year ago.

Oh well, looks like I can't use my nice spare chrome dimmer, any other lights on the house are all less than 60w.

Presumably that's just if I used one that won't fit in a 16 mm box?

Yes thats correct.
Many out there in metal and most white ones will fit a 16mm box and its usually specified on the product.
It's likely No dimmer sold as a metal FLATPLATE will fit your box and would look odd on a white spacer

Not too fussed for a flat plate tbh, one like I have which stick out but say 7mm is fine.

Will be the only dimmer in the house! Because it's going to be a nursery, soon, I figured low light might be helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back