image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi all,
Im after some help please? I'm trying to replace a double light switch with a double dimmer and seem to be having trouble. I have added the existing wiring and the back of the existing switch. Then a picture of the back of new dimmer switch. Tried like for like but no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Common on the old switch is the wavy line on the new switch, 2 & 3 are L1 and L2.

Your existing switch is still 2 separate switches but they are arranged like this:

switch.jpg

rather than having all 3 terminals in a line as with the new ones.

Thank you. That makes a bit more sense now. Will have another look in the morning when I have light. Thanks again

Good Afternoon All

Pretty similar to the above I am changing a standard double switch to a standard dimmer switch. Stansard double is much like the pic above (it's an MK) with a Common L1 L2 across the top and L1, L2 and Common across the bottom.

Looking at the split I essentially swap the Common around on the new dimmer configuration?

Thanks

Joazinho

Attachments

• IMG_20170212_152629.jpg
    IMG_20170212_152629.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_20170213_091634.jpg
    IMG_20170213_091634.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 669
Sponsored Links
Stansard double is much like the pic above (it's an MK) with a Common L1 L2 across the top and L1, L2 and Common across the bottom.
Sort of - there are two triangles -

2g2w.jpg

Just transfer the wires but do not mix them up.
The dimmers are likely to be both the same way up - not one upside down.

Many Thanks - when I wired it up yesterday I matched it exactly per the old fitting and it didn't work as I have now learnt that there is a split as per your pic and they should be wired as per above. I will give it a go tomorrow night - Thanks in advance

The cable with the Red Yellow Blue is for one switch. The Red Black goes to the other one.

In both cases, the reds are the commons (or wavy line with arrow.)

Yellow & Blue goes to L1 and L2 of the switch with the red from the same cable.

Black goes to L1 of the other switch with the red from the same cable.

The cable with the Red Yellow Blue is for one switch. The Red Black goes to the other one.

In both cases, the reds are the commons (or wavy line with arrow.)

Yellow & Blue goes to L1 and L2 of the switch with the red from the same cable.

Black goes to L1 of the other switch with the red from the same cable.
Joazinho doesn't have cables with those colour cores....

You would have known that already had you paid attention to the markings on your switch:

screenshot_1119.jpg

Ben-All-Sheds

I did - but most likely naively. The top was Common, L1, L2 and the bottom was Common, L1 and L2 I just patched them as is to the dimmer (I labelled them for brevity and my sanity). I'll give it a go in a couple of days when I get some time. One switch controls the hall lights and the other the stairs and upper landing - the stairs and upper landing can be switched off and on from the upper landing floor

Thanks in advance

Threads over 3 months old should be locked automatically. Or at least only open for those who have already posted on them.
The big red warning doesn't work.

But then we wouldn't be able to poke fun at each other for not noticing the date. :mrgreen:

Thank you all for your help I fitted the switch perfectly yesterday and all working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back