Fitting a Gas Fire - Is this expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am having a hole in wall gas fire fitted.

The cost of installing it is £400. Is this expensive or is this the going rate?

The job consists of removing the old victorian fireplace mantel thing (2 Screws), putting the new gas fire in the wall, with a lintel above it, connecting it ot the gas etc, then plastering the wall around the fire to neaten it back up.

The Gas Fire in question is a Flavel Jazz @ £900.

I have had the surevey, and my brick built chimney passed the smoke test, so no flue liner is required.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
wasnt sure whether it was worth it?

Have been to two fireplace shops, and both charge £395 fitting.

Was just wondering if this is a just a £200 job, but the fireplace shop take a cut?

Will get some quites from gas fitters.

Whoever fits it will need to pay out for the following;
1 bag of carlite bonding
1 small bag of board finish
1 lintel
pipe & fittings for fire
possible cost of removing old fire surround etc (unless you have a skip on site)
provision of consumables, screws, plugs, smoke pellets, matches, gas safe forms....etc
cost of transport to & from job (including tax, insurance,mot & cost of maintaining his van)
wages for his labourer as this will most certainly be a 2 man job & more than likely take longer than a day as he will have to return the next day to plaster the opening.
Then from his profits from this job he will have to pay tax & national insurance & put a bit into the pension.
He will also have to accept responsibility for this job for as long as it takes you to get another gas fitter in for whatever reason (could be years!)
Is this price reasonable? .....thats for you to decide.

I used to wonder if I did the right thing giving up self employment to become a wage slave, now I know I was right.

Sponsored Links
Flavel jazz will not just fit in where old fire comes out it will need a fair bit off chopping out and bricking up . So its not a bad price

Actual Job:
Conduct Tightness test
Remove old installation
Carry out flue test
Reposition pipework, normally
Chop hole higher and wider
Insert lintel
Measure opening down and build base
Make good and plaster

2nd visit:

Install fire and conduct all tests inc. spillage
Purge, test tightness, relight all appliances
Explain operation of appliance
Tidy work area
Dispose of all rubbish and old material (?)
Notify GS of installation and pay fee

Hope to get paid
Feild ensuing calls for fire not working, but normall y client forgetting basic instructions

Who carried out the flue survey? And who pays for the time involved i surveys for work quotes not accepted?

You've had 2 quotes for same price, what does that tell you?

IMO £400 is abrgain, especially if the fitter is VAT registered. How much time would you spend at work for £200 LESS OVERHEADS ND EXPENSES?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back