fitting a kitchen should i tile floor first or after?

I can see the point of tiling the entire floor prior to fitting the kitchen - not a massive difference in cost in paying for more tiles and will give one finished level, so need need to muck about when installing or even worse, removing appliances from under worktops.

I guess the main reason why the floor finish (tiles or otherwise) is around the units is that its left till last so that the floor finish isn't damaged when moving the carcases around/fitting them!

Sponsored Links
Of course there's no excuse for badly planned tile layouts or for carcases poorly positioned. Any careful (IMO - good) installer will have worked out center-lines and where the tiles run and where the cuts are in relation to the carcases (and sight-lines from worktop and door edges). Again a decent installer will lay temp protection boards (hardboard) over a finished floor prior to the units going in to prevent damage.

A couple of reasons why some tilers might only tile up to the units is cost, in terms of materials and time. Scheduling (project managing) is also a consideration ... the kitchen fitters can't get access 'till the floor is set (delay) ... less of an issue if the tiler goes in last. Anyway, IMO it is best practice to tile the whole floor first ... we've being doing it this way since the early 1970s

Right so its more hassle trying to set out without the units,
there's extra cost of materials(more tiles)
there's extra cost supplying and fitting protection
there's delay for the fitters waiting for adhesive/grout drying times,
and presumably the tiler's got to make a return visit to tile the splashback after the worktops are fitted.

So why is it best practice to tile first??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back