Fitting a new 9.8 Kwh shower in Bathroom

Sponsored Links
BONDING connects parts together. It does not go anywhere.
I suspect one of the things which confuses some people is main bonding, which in some senses may appear to them to be an exception to this rule. Main bonding does not connect two touchable objects together but, rather, connects something (usually a pipe) to the main EARTHING terminal.

There might perhaps be less scope for confusion if we talked in terms of 'cross-bonding' (which more-or-less does what it says on the tin), rather than 'supplementary bonding'.

Kind Regards, John.

I may have been unfair to you as you are reading a book clearly written by someone who does not know what he is talking about.

Throw it away.

A Gas Safe Registered plumber told me that a non electric powered Shower should have its own 6mm earth cable fitted to both its own hot and cold water supply copper pipes then routed direct only into the consumer board; is this correct.

Then all other cross bonded copper pipes; i.e. basin, cistern radiators should have their own 6mm cross bonded cables connected to the nearest junction box earth terminal and not be routed direct to the consumer board.

I also understand that in the latest edition 17 electrics that cross bonding that was done some years ago has been relaxed in certain situations.

I suspect one of the things which confuses some people is main bonding, which in some senses may appear to them to be an exception to this rule. Main bonding does not connect two touchable objects together but, rather, connects something (usually a pipe) to the main EARTHING terminal.
Well, yes but it does not apply to bathrooms and only 'goes to' or 'from' the MET because it is the pipe and MET which are being bonded.

I should have said bonding only 'goes to' or 'from' another part.

There might perhaps be less scope for confusion if we talked in terms of 'cross-bonding' (which more-or-less does what it says on the tin), rather than 'supplementary bonding'.
There might but there are many names which could be more self-explanatory.

Sponsored Links
Out of curiosity; if bonding is fitted; does this have any detrimental or negative effect just by trying to be over safe.
If it is fitted to parts to which it should not be fitted it will introduce a hazard which was not there before.
You presumably are talking about the unnecessary bonding of things (like the infamous plastic-plumbed metal bath!) which would not require bonding even if the conditions for omission of supplementary bonding were not satisfied. In that situation, I agree that the unnecessary bonding can create a potential hazard which otherwise would not exist.

However, in terms of things which would require supplementary bonding if the conditions for omission were not satisfied, if the conditions are satisfied (such that supplementary bonding is not actually required), they will presumably all be electrically connected (and electrically connected to the installation's earthing system), anyway, in which case 'unnecessary' bonding would make no difference to anything (i.e. would not introduce any hazards)?

Kind Regards, John

A Gas Safe Registered plumber told me that a non electric powered Shower should have its own 6mm earth cable fitted to both its own hot and cold water supply copper pipes then routed direct only into the consumer board; is this correct.
No.

Then all other cross bonded copper pipes; i.e. basin, cistern radiators should have their own 6mm cross bonded cables connected to the nearest junction box earth terminal and not be routed direct to the consumer board.
I don't know why a junction box is included and 4mm² is adequate.
I keep saying - just because it is a pipe does not mean it must be bonded.
It likely will but you cannot tell by looking at it.

I also understand that in the latest edition 17 electrics that cross bonding that was done some years ago has been relaxed in certain situations.
Yes, the reference to RCDs plus the other conditions.

Out of curiosity; if bonding is fitted; does this have any detrimental or negative effect just by trying to be over safe.
If it is fitted to parts to which it should not be fitted it will introduce a hazard which was not there before.
You presumably are talking about the unnecessary bonding of things (like the infamous plastic-plumbed metal bath!) which would not require bonding even if the conditions for omission of supplementary bonding were not satisfied. In that situation, I agree that the unnecessary bonding can create a potential hazard which otherwise would not exist.

However, in terms of things which would require supplementary bonding if the conditions for omission were not satisfied, if the conditions are satisfied (such that supplementary bonding is not actually required), they will presumably all be electrically connected (and electrically connected to the installation's earthing system), anyway, in which case 'unnecessary' bonding would make no difference to anything (i.e. would not introduce any hazards)?
Yes, hence the 'If it is fitted to parts to which it should not be fitted'.

Yes, hence the 'If it is fitted to parts to which it should not be fitted'.
Yes, as I said, I presumed that my interpretation of those words was what you intended.

However, I think that others (including the OP) may easily have misinterpreted you words to simply mean that all 'unnecessary' supplementary bonding (including that which was only unnecessary because conditions for its omission were satisfied) could be hazardous. As I said, if the only reason for supplementary bonding of a particular item being 'unnecessary' is that the conditions for omission are satisfied, then unnecessarily bonding that item would not introduce any hazard.

Unnecessarily bonding something that does not need bonding (ever) obviously can introduce a hazard even when supplementary bonding is required (i.e. if conditions for omission are not satisfied).

Kind Regards, John

The 9.8 Kwh Shower is connected via 10mm Twin & Earth wire to D.P. 50 amp ceiling pull cord switch with neon and flag and 10mm cable is then taken direct to 30ma RCD and then to Consumer Board ?
To a fuse or MCB in the board, yes,

References: Electricians Guide 17th Edition Second Edition page 107. fig 5.14
supplementary bonding in a Bathroom to shower cw pipe basin hw cw cistern cw towel rail C Htd bath hw cw Shower tray electric fan shaver/light point, I see no reference though as to where this "Earth Bonding" should be taken to; does it go to a junction box 2.5mm earth terminal to continue the earth circuit ?
BONDING connects parts together. It does not go anywhere.

For Reference: Mike Lawrence's Book (2001) LIGHTING AND WIRING page 108 Electric Showers states: It is essential that the supply pipework to the shower unit is cross bonded to Earth.
This term is wrong and means nothing.
This means fitting an earth clamp on the pipe and running a "4mm" single core Earth cable BACK TO THE MAIN EARTHING connection at the Consumer Unit.
WRONG.

Question here is; the shower 100 cable twin & Earth; this earth cable is routed inside the shower to the earth terminal and also continues marked as an "Inlet Earth Wire" onto the C.W supply metal fitting; so in effect would provide earth bonding;
No, that will provide EARTHING.
I have never seen a shower with such, if I understand you correctly.

so should a Cross bonding earth wire be also clamped onto that CW copper feed pipe and in turn cross bonded to cistern basin etc and then be connected to say a junction box mains 2.5mm Earth terminal, but NOT routed direct to the Consumer Unit.
I appreciate you may not fully understand but it does seem as if you are not reading the replies in which case you should leave it to the electrician,

Supplementary Bonding is not a Yes or No answer because of the description of parts.
Tests must be carried out to determine if it is required or should NOT be fitted.

Supplementary Bonding may be omitted if
All circuits in the location are 30mA RCD protected AND
All disconnection times are met AND
All Main Bonding is in place and satisfactory.
It is not detrimental to still fit SB in this case.

Question here is; the shower 100 cable twin & Earth; this earth cable is routed inside the shower to the earth terminal and also continues marked as an "Inlet Earth Wire" onto the C.W supply metal fitting; so in effect would provide earth bonding;

No, that will provide EARTHING.
I have never seen a shower with such, if I understand you correctly.

Mira Azura 9.8 Kw electric shower

Yes,

but in context:

And is it true to say under the latest 17th regulations, as long as the bathroom is protected by RCD, you don't require bonding in the bathroom?
Provided that, as well as everything in the room being RCD protected, two or three other conditions are also satisfied (which they will be in most installations) then yes, you are correct that 'supplementary bonding' in a bathroom is no longer required.

Yes, but in context:
And is it true to say under the latest 17th regulations, as long as the bathroom is protected by RCD, you don't require bonding in the bathroom?
Provided that, as well as everything in the room being RCD protected, two or three other conditions are also satisfied (which they will be in most installations) then yes, you are correct that 'supplementary bonding' in a bathroom is no longer required.
I think that there must be some difference in interpretation here, since what I wrote seemed to be totally appropriate in terms of the context, given my interpretation of what questions were being asked. Since the OP asked his question above in response to my confirming that, given satisfaction of certain conditions (including RCD protection). supplementary bonding can now (under 17th ed regs) be omitted, I him to be asking whether there would be any 'detrimental or negative effect' if supplementary bonding that would have been required under early regs was installed now, even though conditions for its omission were satisfied.

In terms of that interpretation (which, as always, may have been wrong), I felt that the answer you gave could easily mislead the OP, since it could easily be taken to be saying that the answer to the question that I believe was being asked (as above) was that the 'unnecessary bonding' (per above) could introduce a hazard which would not otherwise be there. As I said, I think that such a hazard would only be introduced by bonding if one bonded something which did not require bonding under either (probably any) set of regulations - i.e. if one bonded things which were not extraneous-conductive parts (and which which not earthed).

Kind Regards, John

That may be so - but from the original question I understood it to mean that there was no bonding at present and he was going to apply it without understanding.

Therefore, to ask if bonding would be detrimental if applied although not needed because of RCDs etc., whilst not ascertaining whether parts are extraneous or not does, I think, validate my reply.

That may be so - but from the original question I understood it to mean that there was no bonding at present and he was going to apply it without understanding. Therefore, to ask if bonding would be detrimental if applied although not needed because of RCDs etc., whilst not ascertaining whether parts are extraneous or not does, I think, validate my reply.
Fair enough - we clearly interpreted the question slightly differently.

Whatever, what matters is that I think (know) that we both totally agree about when supplementary bonding is (and isn't) necessary/required, and when including 'unnecessary' bonding does (and does not) potentially introduce a hazard which would otherwise not be there. Hopefully some of the others who have read this discussion will also now understand.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back