Fitting a radiator to an outbuilding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a music studio which is a completely separate building to the house. I'm thinking of fitting a radiator in it to replace the electric heaters i have (due to cost of running the things!) but to do that I would have to run the flow/return pipes underground from the house to the studio.

Its about a 6 metre run alltogether if i were to come from the radiator pipes in the house just under the window.

Ive done odd bits of DIY plumbing fitting electric showers etc (am electrical engineer by trade) but was wondering what special insulation etc i would need to run the pipes underground. Or is there outside piping that would be suitable?

Seems to be so much on the market now i would be confused as to whats best so any recommendations etc would be muchly appreciated.

cheers in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Tricky job.
Insulation will be insufficient protection.
If you can't go below frost level (about 600 mm) indoors, and come up inside the other, I would not entertain the idea.

what sort of budget could you stretch too? Might be worth considering a small air source heat pump?

Sponsored Links
what sort of budget could you stretch too? Might be worth considering a small air source heat pump?

sounds interesting! just looking into how they work etc (at this silly time in the morning but i do work in music industry lol!) yeah only thing is they aint cheap!

they seem to generate 3 units of heat for every unit of electricity (according to wikipedia) so a good invention. I see they use refrigerant so maybe i could transfer the heat that comes from the back of the beer fridge i have in the studio lol.

Word of advise.. If you go for air to air, go for a good quality make inverter unit.... Sanyo, Toshiba, Daikin. Avoid Fleabay stuff that says "Powered by Toshiba" and the like... If you suffer from hay fever, then the Tosh Desaikai is very good but there are many on the market with electrostatic/ plasma filters...

You can fit the majority of it and get a local fridge engineer to pipe it and evacuate the pipes with a vacuum pump (VERY important).. Its a lot less hassle than digging holes

Not even musicians will drink enough beer to heat your studio through your beer cooler :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back