Fitting a slotted waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Can someone please offer me some advice on the fitting of a slotted waste.

Basically I need to know if there is anything special I need to do? I can't quite understand how they work. If the water runs down the overflow doesn't it then run down the outside of the waste (as well as the inside) and therefore run the risk of leaking out the bottom of the waste. If it doesn't run out of the bottom then does it just stay trapped down the side of the waste forever so to speak??

i'd really appriciate any help anyone could offer!

Thanks
Mike.

Sponsored Links
I can't quite understand how they work.
Not the first!

If the water runs down the overflow doesn't it then run down the outside of the waste (as well as the inside) and therefore run the risk of leaking out the bottom of the waste.
Yes. They do leak

If it doesn't run out of the bottom then does it just stay trapped down the side of the waste forever so to speak??
Yes. You see, you understand perfectly. It's called British Engineering. :LOL: :LOL:

What you have to do is seal everything where the bottom nut goes, between the china and the threaded tube. Silicone is as good as anything, which with the crummy washer they usually give you, can close the chasm. There are triangular section washers designed for the purpose.

I've lost count of how many times people have put their pedestal/basin in really carefully, all stuck to floor and wall, only to find water dribbling down the thread of the waste. Then it all has to come out again unless you can undo the nut in situ, dry everything wth a hairdryer and get some silicone in with a finger. Even worse is when some "traditionalist" uses plumber's mait, which is awful.

Cheers Chris,

I've used silicone before but I always thought I was cheating somewhat and I wanted this next installation to be perfect.

Silicone it is then

Thanks again
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Well said Chris.....I`ve got a stash of red lead putty that I keep.....and knead it regularly :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back