Fitting a switch to a table saw ??

Sponsored Links
its a simple frame with a large motor
belt driven to a spindle with a blade on
fitted inside a wood top
In other words, a dangerous home made lash up.

all i am wanting to do is fit a simple in line switch so that you don't have to pull the plug or turn off the power to switch it off
As has been explained already, a 'simple switch' is not suitable. That will not prevent the saw starting after a power failure, or provide any overload protection for the motor.

this saw is only going to be used by me and needs no building site sign of or nothing..
That doesn't change anything. If it's unsafe and likely to cause serious injury, it will do that regardless of where it is or who is using it.

its a simple frame with a large motor
belt driven to a spindle with a blade on
fitted inside a wood top
In other words, a dangerous home made lash up.
Sounds like it.

this saw is only going to be used by me and needs no building site sign of or nothing..
Flesh sensor?
Kickback prevention?
Blade guard?
Zero-clearance blade inserts?
E-stop which you can operate with foot or knee?
Dust extractor?

All just fripperies invented by stylists and marketeers to appeal to the gullible, are they?

Of no real use on saws you buy, and therefore no need to have them on home-made ones?

I wonder why there are more serious injuries from table saws than any other woodworking tools?

http://images.google.com/images?q=table+saw+injury

Sponsored Links
A customer of mine who worked in engineering all his life built his own table saw to lay some wooden flooring at his house.

He cut three fingers off one hand which the doctors were unable to save.

A customer of mine who worked in engineering all his life built his own table saw to lay some wooden flooring at his house. He cut three fingers off one hand which the doctors were unable to save.
As BAS has said, table saws win hands down in comparison with other woodworking tools as a cause of serious injuries - but, to put things in perspective, the vast majority of such saws are, of course, not 'home built'.

Kind Regards, John

I worked with a builder as a teenager and every saw mill we went too seemed to have an employee with at least half a finger missing

I worked with a builder as a teenager and every saw mill we went too seemed to have an employee with at least half a finger missing
I can believe it, but I doubt that many of the saw mills used 'home-made lash-ups' as their saws, did they?

Kind Regards, John

Hi guys i will get you some pics tmo of the saw i wouldn't really class it as a homemade lash up..... honestly if there was a guard over the belt and blade what different is there to a shop saw ??

its a fair size table so as long as u keep front side away from the belt your fine..
if ur fingers are that close to be cut a guard wouldn't help u any way..

al learn how to get this switch fitted eventuly lol

Hi guys i will get you some pics tmo of the saw i wouldn't really class it as a homemade lash up..... honestly if there was a guard over the belt and blade what different is there to a shop saw ??

its a fair size table so as long as u keep front side away from the belt your fine..
Please use proper English.

And the drive belt is exposed as well?

It just gets worse and worse.

al learn how to get this switch fitted eventuly lol

Don't you think these are the sort of statements that workshop owners make to the HSE after some poor b****r has lost his fingers and his livelihood after an accident on unsafe machinery?

Maybe your saw is just for your own use. Is it really worth a serious injury with nobody around to help?

i there guys sorry for the delay in getting the pictures of the saw

i have been working away and not long been back , i have been saying i must get the pictures took but kept forgetting.

i have just now took some pictures of the saw in the shed with it being night i have had to use the flash.

can i make it clear this saw is for my own domestic hobby use not for anyone else.
all i am wanting to do is fit a switch...

as far as i can see it a cracking little saw

if i made a belt cover to cover the exposed belt what hazards would there be on this saw that there wouldnt be on any other shop bough table saw..

i never used a saw guard on my last table saw all its life till it blew up... i always found it got in the way

And you paid good money for it ? That is an accident waiting to happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back