Fitting a wider radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting a wider radiator fitted and have been speaking to a plumber. If I'm understanding him right, he said he'd leave the pipes in their existing place (where they come through the floorboards) then branch them wider, above the floorboards. Is this a bodge or normal practice? I would have expected the floorboards to be removed and the pipes shortened under the floorboards, then new holes drilled in the floorboards to make a neater job.

Sponsored Links
You solution is the neater option, but it's more works so expect to pay more....

OK, so the several extra 90 degree bends required in branching the pipes around the bigger radiator shouldn't affect waterflow, compared to a neat straight pipe coming through the floorboards?

Sponsored Links
Watch the new position of the radiator pipe inlet/outlet is not directly at a joist.

Branched just under the rad is not even noticed by most people.

Corrected below the floor would take about an hour longer and might damage boards etc.

Tony

I have done the 90degree bends below the radiator before, due to the joists.
Personal job though so didn't have to answer to a home owner.
I personally didn't think that it was "bad" to look at, just perhaps a little more different than normal.
As Agile says, might not even be noticed by most visitors.
(will be by yourself though, cause you know it's done that way)
It's just what method that you've been used to that becomes the "standard" or "normal".

It's your house so have it done the way you want

It is not a bodge but a quicker way of getting the job done and therefore cheaper the guy might have thought he wouldn't get the job if he allowed an extra hour in his price. But I'm sure he'll do whichever you want

Consider damage to carpets etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back