Fitting a Yale Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just moved house-there are "storm doors" at front with a yale lock which works but the previous owners didn't leave any key for :cry:

How easy is it for a keen but hopeless diy-er like myself to buy a new lock and fit it given that all the wood has been cut and there is already a lock there?

thanks

Sponsored Links
very easy

in most cases there is only a cylinder on the outside of the door. Yales are a standard size, so are all the cheap ones. They usually have a knob on the inside which can be used to open the door without a key. This is one of the (several) reasons why they are not at all secure, since anyone smashing a glass or thin wood panel can get their hand through and open it, or manipulate it through a letter box with a simple home-made instrument. They are also relatively easy to burst open with a good kick or the shoulder. However they are OK to prevent the door blowing open in strong winds ;)

If you want to use the doors to keep people out, you will have to beef them up.

It is very convenient to have all these doors suited to the same key, so you only have to cary one. You might be able to get two replacement cylinders on the same key, but usually it costs extra.

If the lock cylinder does not look like one of my illustrations, post a pic or give us a description.

Traditional rubbishy Yale type (cylinder part is available separately)
p3505702_l.jpg

Eurolock cylinder
p4634915_l.jpg

edited: bah, too slow

p.s. I was in Wickes earlier, and they have own-brand 5-lever sashlocks to the latest BS (20mm bolt) at about £15, which I thought a very good price. Probably made by Avocet or someone and rebranded.

I only use Chubb myself which are not cheap

Sponsored Links
On the page where you found the picture you want

right-click on the picture

select "properties"

Put your mouse on the URL of the picture (usually starts with "http" and ends in ".jpg")

Press and hold the mouse's left ear while you drag the mouse from start to the end of the address to highlight it

Press CTLR+C (copy)

Come back to your post here (ALT+TAB)

Click the mouse where you want the pic to be

Press CTRL+V (paste)

The URL of the pic will then appear
like this

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webtables/21042.jpg

Highlight it again by dragging the mouse with its left ear pressed

and click on the "IMG" box under where it says "post a reply"

This will put the start image and end image markers round the URL so it looks like this

[img]http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webtables/21042.jpg[/img]

But when you submit it, it will look to viewers like this

21042.jpg

big-all, that is correct, but not all sites will let you "borrow" their picture :cry:

left hand side of the keyboard, four up, says "Tab"

getting silly now

MonaLisa6.gif

link removed (no swearing)

will now try and wade through the other steps as a 50+ years old geet it takes time :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back