Fitting an expansion vessel myself.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a Protherm 80E combi boiler. I have worked out with help from this site that its an expansion vessel fault (pressure flies up).

I have had the front off and located the EV. It is a tiny pot built into the pump on this model of boiler. Its not responding to being pumped up at all so i have condemned this part.

I have the boiler in the kitchen on the wall. Theres not alot of room for a new EV in there. Can it go in the airing cupboard? There is a rad in there already so could the EV just be plumbed into the pipework before the rad valve?

I have done a search but couldn't find the answer im looking for.

Thanks for the help. Matt

Sponsored Links
located the EV. It is a tiny pot built into the pump
That's not the Expansion Vessel, that's the AAV. You need to study the manual before you start tinkering with the boiler.

[code:1]There is a rad in there already so could the EV just be plumbed into the pipework before the rad valve?[/code:1]

Probably. There is stuff on this - do a search on [add pressure vessel.] or similar.

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel connecting pipe blocks up inside, this needs to be unblocked and the ex vessel recharged(300mm dia by 50mm red cylinder)
via the shrader valve, if new expansion fitted it needs to be fitted as near to the return pipework on the boiler as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back