Protherm 80E expansion vessel, where is the valve???

Sponsored Links
Hehe, like the way you put it.

Well first off I was letting the pressure out of the cold ch by opening a rad bleed, the pressure was dropping slowly so while waiting I let the pressure out of the expansion vessel. The system pressure instantaly dropped by 0.5 bar - indicating that the flex pipe to the expansion vessel was clean I would imagine or it woulnd't have such an instant effect on system pressure. No water came out of the expansion vessel, some air did though it didn't feel fully pressurised, hiss for about a second.

Anyhow after than when ch pressure was 0 I pressurised the expansion up to 1 bar, checked the ch was still 0 and re-checked the expansion, holding 1 bar nicely.

Then I pressurised the CH after shutting the bleed on the rad to 1.5 bar. Pressure rises to 1 bar quickly then takes a while to get to 1.5 bar which feels right to me if the expansion and flex pipe are working as over 1 bar system pressure it would start to take some of the fill water.

So, new AAV (leaks water) and new PRV (leaks water, drip drip - every 2 seconds) and hopefully we are in a bit better shape.

Any comments or other things I should check please let me know. When the thing is actually fixed and reliable again, I'll post asking about flushing the system and leak/corrosion inhibitor and putting some rad thermostats in but I don't want to do that now with a boiler that is playing up till it's solid again.

Greg.

If pratting about with it does your head in; consider Just adding another pressure vessel to the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back