Fitting bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if someone can help me my bathroom extractor fan recently stopped working so I bought a new one a emcovent EVSLIM4T with timer - the old extractor did not have a timer.

The thing is I do not know which wires go to which

the wiring from the house to the fan are as follows

2 black wires (I take it these are neutral)
1 red wire (Live)

The wiring on the new fan terminal block are as follows

1 brown (live)
1 blue (neutral)
1 black (T) I think the t must be timer?

What I want to know is which wires go to which so I can connect the fan up or if the wires that I do have are not correct then I take it I will need to call for an electrician - I would like to avoid this if I can because I feel it may be a tad costly just for connecting up 3 wires!

I think it may be the case that I need 2 live and I only have one, but I am only guessing

Any help is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
How was the old fan connected?
Were the two black wires together in the same terminal?

Sponsored Links
Any electrical work undertaken in a bathroom must be carried out by an electrician. It is a stipulation of Part P.

You don't have to be an electrican.

Any DIY'er can carry out electrical work in their own homes but work carried out must comply with Part P requirements, including prior notification depending of work being carried out.

How was the old fan connected?
Were the two black wires together in the same terminal?

Yes the old fan had 2 black wires in the terminal

Did the old fan used to come on and off with the light in the bathroom?

If so then it's as you thought, you need a permanent live for the timing circuit.

Yes the old fan came on with the light -so it will be an electrician I will need to fit it correctly.

Or I could buy a new fan without a timer - it will work out cheaper!

Any electrical work undertaken in a bathroom must be carried out by an electrician. It is a stipulation of Part P.

You don't have to be an electrican.

Any DIY'er can carry out electrical work in their own homes but work carried out must comply with Part P requirements, including prior notification depending of work being carried out.

By prior notification do you mean contacting LABC?
This would incur a charge out of all proportion to the scale of the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back