Fitting Battons to a masonary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, as I am a diy novice I would like some advise on how to fit 2" 1" battons to my kitchen wall, would masonry screws 75mm be sufficient to secure the battons ? as I intend mount plasterboard and fit plasterboard electrical sockets. What I'm not sure of is whether there will be enough clearance between the wall and the back of the sockets. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This really is novice stuff. Are you sure you possess the knowledge to tackle an electrical installation if you have to ask these questions?

Well, I would use 2" screws on 2 x 1. You could use masonry screws, but woodscrews plus plastic plugs would be cheaper. Choose the right colour for the screw size and bit diameter.

Have you measured a drylining box depth? You need to make sure that whatever batten thickness you use allows the box to stand off the masonry wall surface once fitted.

IE: batten depth + plasterboard depth + skim depth > the box depth.

securespark said:
Well, I would use 2" screws on 2 x 1.
I'd strongly argue against that, and in favour of the originally suggested 75mm, possibly 65. If you've only got 25mm projecting beyond the batten that's not enough to guarantee a good result, particularly if there's any depth of plaster.

Steve - another thing you might not have thought of if you're a novice - do you intend ever to fix kitchen cabinets to this wall?

Thanks guys for your advise. In answer to your question Ban - all - sheds, yes, but I have been in a dillema on whether to rerender the kitchen wall which has the advantage of strength when fitting kitchen cabinets or the other option of fitting the batons and plasterboard.
Well after much agonising I finally opted to render the kitchen wall which I started this evening and plan to finish of at the weekend. The reason why the rendering is because I have removed the chimney breast ( with supervision ) so hence quite a large area of bare brickwork I thought by putting up batons and plasterboard I would save time but at what price?
I hope I have made the right desicion.

Sponsored Links
I think you have.

I wouldn't fancy kitchen cabinets full of china hanging off of plasterboard, and unless the battens happened to coincide with where the mounting screws for the cabinets needed to be, that's what you'd have.

True, you could plan where the cabinets would be, mark the location of the screws, and ensure the battens went in the right place, but on the other hand....

Ban

Gonna pull an FWL and scream "typo"!!

Should have been 3".....

Still, hypothetical now, but for future reference...

Hmmm - not convinced. When Steve C asked if 75mm would be OK, and you said Well, I would use 2" screws on 2 x 1 it didn't sound as though you were meaning to agree with him.

But we'll let you off if you admit that the confusion arose because you're so used to assuring your girlfriend that yes, that is indeed 3"... :evil:

Call it old school meets new. I work more in inches.

Yes. I did assure my g/f that it was 3"..........3" MORE than anyone else!!

That is why g/f is now wife!!!

:D

Anyhow, it's not what you got its the way you use it. And, no, before you say anything, it's not just blokes with nowt that say that......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back