Help fitting a tv to stud wall

Yep, sounds like a plan!

What would be best, should i drill into the places I assumed were studs or cut into a hollow section to see whats behind there?

Sponsored Links
Yep, sounds like a plan!
What would be best, should i drill into the places I assumed were studs or cut into a hollow section to see whats behind there?
If it were me, and my house, I'd probably end up doing both, but would probably start with the latter. There is, of course, always a risk that you'll hit something unexpected - living in a very old house, I unfortunately have had some rather unfortunate experiences in my time!

Kind Regards, John.

It's clearly not a stud wall, it's brick/blockwork with plasterboard dot and dabbed over it.

The cables SHOULD run in straightlines from where they exit the accessory box, but you can never guarantee this.

You could try getting a fixing where the un-hollow bits are. The plug should ideally go just past the plasterboard to fit into the harder adhesive and brick. Use long screws to get a decent fix.

Is there any standard convention to how far apart dot and dab should be or is it just down to the builder?

I now believe it is dot and dab but cant work out why both the stud finders are beeping and detecting for wood at EXACTLY every 24" apart.

When the bracket arrives on wed ill mark it out and see whether its possible to go through 4 solid patches into the brick. If i cant then it'll be too much work to fit a board of plywood as its on a rented place.

Cheers for all your input though, its been much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are instances where wooden battens (strips) are fixed to the brickwork, usually vertically.

Then plasterboard is fixed to the wooden battens.

With dot and dabbing, the blobs are usually random.

I have seen it done when the blobs are in a neat uniform order, which has meant threading an extra cable in was very easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back