Advice on wiring a flat screen tv please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i want to wall mount a tv in a bedroom and have the power cables hidden .
The house is a new build and the wall is a stud which i presume has insulation inside.
I want to mount the tv in the centre of the wall .

Obviously i want to stay within any regulations .

I have a 2 gang socket in the lower left corner of the wall . and a light switch on the middle right side of the wall

What are my options ,

Can i drill hole in the wall behind the tv and i fit brush plates , then again at the bottom of the wall and run the tv's standard power cable ,along with the arial lead , will i need to run it through trunking ?

Or could i fit a socket behind the tv and run the cable down inside the wall then accross to the 2 gang socket , Is this what is known as a spur ?
Again would i need to use trunking ?

Are both option legal within reg's and am i allowed to do this ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do as you want if the socket is on the ring circuit or radial, if it isn't other options are available.

The cable must run vertically or horizontally from an accessory, so as you say, down and then across.
There is no need for conduit but it may be easier if you can route it through the wall.
What about getting past the studs and noggins?
The insulation is not a problem with such little current required.

What about (all) the other cables - aerial, hdmi etc.? Where will they come from?

Thanks, i was going to chase the plasterboard and cut slots out of any studs that are in the way ,if that is allowed then after fill the chase sand etc .
I was going to run the other cables up the same way

What do you think about just running the tv power cable using brush plates ? then the hdmi and aerial in the same ?

It depends on what TV you buy, Sony have suddenly started supplying external PSU's which need to be hidden!
It's always better to keep connections to a minimum, i would use a brush plate if possible.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Already have the tv its a panasonic plasma which has the kettle type of connection , just wasnt sure if running it in the wall was building regs legal etc .

Your bigger problem might be getting a secure fitting for this TV on a stud wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back